East Bridgewater High School
|East Bridgewater Jr./Sr. High School|
143 Plymouth St.,|
East Bridgewater, MA 02333
|Established||1958/2013 (current campus)|
|Principal||Mr. Brian Duffey|
700 ~ (High School)300 ~ (Junior High School)
|Color(s)||Navy, Gold & White|
|Rivals||Rockland, Abington, Cohasset|
|Average SAT scores||
1062 total (2016-2017)
East Bridgewater Jr./Sr. High School is a public secondary school located at 143 Plymouth Street in East Bridgewater, Massachusetts. The school serves students in grades 7–12 and has an approximate enrollment of 1000 students. The schools colors are Navy, Gold & White and the school mascot is the Vikings.
The school's former campus opened in 1958. In 1975, a major building addition program added extensively to academic support and athletic facilities while doubling the enrollment capacity of the school. Currently, the school enrolls around 1000 students in grades 7–12, reflecting moderate growth over recent years. East Bridgewater Jr./Sr. High School is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and was last evaluated in 2006.
A new Jr./Sr. High School opened in fall of 2013. The new state-of-the-art school sits on land formerly occupied by the school athletic fields and tennis courts. New fields were constructed on the site of the original building.
A budget was proposed in the spring of 2015 by the overseeing school district, East Bridgewater Public Schools, that would have eliminated all extracurricular programs, including all sports teams and music ensembles and all non essential programs. Students protested the budget and a few students in particular participated in making a short film titled Necessary Extras, a film which acted as a voice to students concerned about the future of the school. The budget was over turned and the teachers of the school gave up their annual union pay raise in order to help fund the programs. As of fall of 2015 the school's programs are fully funded.
East Bridgewater is known for having a very successful and extensive athletic program as well as an exemplary music program. Many awards and championships have been won by current and former music participants and sports teams: the school maintains a well-known slogan of "Viking Pride". A list of current athletics and past championships is listed below.
- Girls' Soccer
- Boys' Soccer
- Field Hockey
- Cross Country
- Boys' Basketball
- Girls' Basketball
- Track & Field
- Boys' Lacrosse
- Girls' Lacrosse
- Track & Field
- Girls' Tennis
- Girls' Spring Track League Champions - 2008, 2009
- Girls' Spring Track State Champions
- Heptathlon - 1994, 1995, 1998, 1999
- Boys' Spring Track Class D State Champions - 2002, 2003
- Boys' Spring Track Class D State Finalists - 2001
- Boys' Spring Track League Champions - 1995, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Track & Field South Shore Principals Champions - 1993, 1995, 1998, 2002
- Boys' Cross Country D-II State Champions - 2001, 2002
- Boys' Cross Country State Finalists - 2000
- Boys' Cross Country League Champions - 1992, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2011
- Boys' Soccer League Champions - 2008, 2012
- Field Hockey League Champions - 2009
- Cheerleading New England Champions - 2006, 2012
- Cheerleading State Champions - 2005, 2006, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Cheerleading State Finalists - 2003, 2006, 2012
- Softball League Champions - 1970, 1989, 2007
- Baseball South Sectional Finalists - 1984, 1986, 2007
- Baseball South Sectional Champions - 1993, 2012
- Baseball Eastern Mass. Champions - 1993
- Baseball D-II State Finalists - 1993
- Baseball League Champions - 1984
- Football State Champions - 1990, 2016
- Football State Finalists - 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 2015
- Football League Champions - 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 2014, 2015, 2016
The East Bridgewater High School Marching Band was an undefeated champion in Division One of the New England Scholastic Band Association from the late 1990s until 2010. The music department slogan is, "The Tradition of Excellence". The group has performed shows featuring music from feature films such as: The Patriot, Pirates of the Caribbean, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, and Hook. They've also performed music by popular bands such as: Styx, Chicago, and Steely Dan.
- Joe Lauzon - professional mixed martial artist, current UFC competitor in the Lightweight Division
- Vogler, Paula (January 12, 2014). "East Bridgewater's new Junior/Senior High School opened this past August with new experiences for teachers, students and the community". enterprisenews.com. The Enterprise. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- "Fight Magazine Joe Lauzon". Retrieved 2014-01-01.
- "Joe Lauzon UFC Bio". Retrieved 2014-01-01.