East Camberwell railway station
Westbound view from Platform 3 in May 2014 with the Alamein line bridge in the background
|Location||Sefton Place, Camberwell|
|Distance||11.08 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||3 (1 island, 1 side)|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 1|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||14 May 1900|
East Camberwell railway station is located on the Lilydale and Belgrave lines in Victoria, Australia. It serves the eastern Melbourne suburb of Camberwell, opening on 14 May 1900, as the interchange station for the Deepdene Dasher service northwards, along the Outer Circle line, that had opened in 1891.
Three platforms were provided, two high-level ones for trains on the Lilydale line, and a single low-level one for trains on the Outer Circle. Steps were provided between all platforms, to enable passengers to change between services. Between 1915 and 1922, a signal box at the Melbourne end was provided, to control the junction towards Riversdale (on today's Alamein line), as the three tracks though to Camberwell had been reduced to two, to allow the regrading works at Camberwell to proceed. The Deepdene Dasher service was withdrawn on 9 October 1927, and the line itself closed on 6 September 1943, when goods services ended. The low level platform was removed after World War II.
The platforms on the Lilydale line were rebuilt in 1964, when the Camberwell – East Camberwell third track amplification works were carried out, with the southern platform converted into an island platform. The third track was later extended to Box Hill in 1971.
The former wooden station building on Platforms 1 & 2 was replaced with a brick structure in 1981. It was destroyed by fire on 12 August 1986.
Platforms & services
- Lilydale line: all stations and limited stops services to Flinders Street
- Belgrave line: all stations and limited stops services to Flinders Street
- Lilydale line: weekday all stations services to Lilydale
- Belgrave line: weekday all stations services to Belgrave
- Lilydale line & Belgrave line: weekday all stations services to Blackburn
- David Beardsell & Bruce Herbert (1979). The Outer Circle: A history of the Oakleigh to Fairfield Park Railway. Australian Railway Historical Society. ISBN 0-85849-024-2.
- East Camberwell Vicsig
- Adrian Dare (January 1987). "The Ashy Dasher and the Deepdene Dasher". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. p. 8.
- "Victorian Railways: East Richmond to East Camberwell diagram 20' 66". Signal Diagrams and Photos. Retrieved 2013-08-11.
- SE Dornan & RG Henderson (1979). Electric Railways of Victoria. Australian Electric Traction Society. p. 80. ISBN 0-909459-06-1.
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. June 1986. p. 188.
- Lilydale Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Belgrave Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Melway map at street-directory.com.au
- Marc Fiddian (1988). Commuters, Shoppers an Scholars : A History of the Melbourne-Lilyale Railway. p76 ISBN 0-9596316-7-4
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|Shenley||Intersection with the Outer Circle line||Riversdale|
|List of closed railway stations in Melbourne|