East China University of Science and Technology
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|East China Institute of Chemical Technology(1952-1993)|
Motto in English
|Diligence, Factuality, Aspiration and Virtue|
|President||Qu Jingping (曲景平)|
|1,358 foreign students|
|Colors||Blue and White|
|Data as of May 2017|
East China University of Science and Technology (simplified Chinese: 华东理工大学; traditional Chinese: 華東理工大學; pinyin: Huádōng Lǐgōng Dàxué, English acronym ECUST) is a research university located in Shanghai, China. Originally established with a focus on chemical technology, it has evolved into a comprehensive university that covers all academic disciplines and offers a large variety of majors. It is a Chinese Ministry of Education Double First Class Discipline University, with Double First Class status in certain disciplines. The school encompasses two campuses and a science park in the Xuhui, Fengxian and Jinshan districts of Shanghai.
The main campus is located on Meilong Road in Xuhui District, in the southwest of downtown Shanghai and 17 kilometers from Hongqiao Airport, with an area of approximately 415,000 m² and 21 dorms capable of accommodating 15,000 students. Most of the departments are easily reached from the Front Gate, behind which Pandeng Road directly leads to the Main Building. Out of the built-up space, classrooms take up 56,000 m² and laboratories 118,000 m². The campus houses the administrative offices of the university, Master's as well as PhD students, international exchange and language students, and is home to most of the research facilities.
The Middle School Affiliated To ECUST (华东理工大学附属中学), was established in 1992 and is located in the south of Xuhui district, not far from the main campus. It is attended by 1,200 middle and high school students.
As a prominent research-intensive university established in 1952 and directly authorised by the Chinese Ministry of Education, the East China University of Science and Technology (ECUST) has been making every endeavour to furnish itself with world-class teaching and research capacity for the past few decades. It has a strong tradition of working with industries. The university is now developing into a multi-disciplinary higher educational institution with a balanced curriculum of science, engineering, economics, management, law, humanities and arts spread across 15 academic schools.
The university offers 13 first level and 81 second level doctoral programs, 25 first level and 147 second level master programs and 65 undergraduate programs. The total number of full-time students has reached around 24,140, including 15,460 undergraduates, 7,110 postgraduates studying for master's degrees and 1,570 Ph.D. candidates.
|The U.S. News rankings ( 2017 )|
|Best Global Universities||530|
|Best Global Universities in China||33|
|THE World University Rankings ( 2018 )||601-800|
|QS World University Rankings ( 2018 )||551-600|
|Academic Ranking of World Universities ( 2017 )||301-400|
Seven majors are distinguished as national key disciplines, those include:
- Chemical Engineering
- Chemical Technology
- Biochemical Engineering
- Applied Chemistry
- Industrial Catalysis
- Chemical Process Equipment
- Control Theory and Control Engineering
- Material Science
Essential Science Indicators (ESI) Subject Ranking
ECUST has four disciplines, including materials science, engineering, biochemistry and biology, and pharmacology and toxicology ranked among the global top 1% by the Essential Science Indicators (ESI) subject ranking, and specifically, its chemistry program is ranked among the global top 1‰. According to 2016 Nature Index data, ECUST is the world’s top 34th academic institution in chemistry (based on weighted fractional count from January to December 2016).
The university departments are organized in 15 academic schools:
- School of Chemical Engineering
- School of Biotechnology
- School of Chemistry and Molecular Engineering
- School of Pharmacy
- School of Material Science and Engineering
- School of Information Science and Engineering
- School of Mechanical and Power Engineering
- School of Resources and Environmental Engineering
- School of Science
- School of Business
- School of Social & Public Administration
- School of Art, Design, Media
- School of Foreign Languages
- School of Law
- School of Sports Science and Engineering
Besides those main academic schools, the university features a School of Online Education, the College of International Education, the College of Continuing Education, the Sino-German College of Technology, International College of Engineering and a Marxism Institute.
Long-term academic relationships have been established with more than 60 universities, enterprises, and research institutes all over the world. The following degrees are offered jointly with partner universities:
- MBA Program with the University of Canberra, Australia
- International Business Program with Wollongong University, Australia
- Chemical Engineering and Technology Program with Fachhochschule Lübeck, Germany
- Project Management Program with the University of Management and Technology, United States
Library & University Press
The Library of East China University of Science & Technology (ECUST) was established in 1952 and is placed under direct auspice of the Ministry of Education of People's Republic of China. Starting with the collections of the different departments that initially made up the foundation of the college, it has developed into a research library for multiple disciplines ranging from chemistry and chemical engineering to natural sciences, engineering, management and liberal arts.
The library system of ECUST encompasses three branches among the major campuses. The library in Xuhui, built in 1987, houses most of the book collections, while the new nine-story library in Fengxian marks the center of the new campus and is geared towards undergraduate students. Together, they cover a floor space of almost 46,000 m² and offer 3,500 seats in the reading rooms. Electronic resources are abundant, with databases shared among several university library systems and access to academic journals. In total, more than 2,600,000 books and publications are available. The university maintains subscriptions for over 2,000 foreign journals in print and over 30,000 in digital form. There is also a library in its Jinshan Campus, storing many books with a low usage.
The library is open each day of the week except on national holidays.
The library is a member of the Shanghai Library system and one of its main nodes where inter-library loan is possible. It plays an active part in the theory and practice of teaching literature search that have been set up at ECUST. In 2004, with the introduction of a master's degree in Information Science, this role was further strengthened. Also on offer are services to students and the wider public, including, but not limited to, a language training center and the provision of teaching material in foreign languages, a center for the distribution of cultural resources and book consulting services both in-person and online.
- "教育部 财政部 国家发展改革委 关于公布世界一流大学和一流学科建设高校及建设 学科名单的通知 (Notice from the Ministry of Education and other national governmental departments announcing the list of double first class universities and disciplines)".
- "学校简介". Middle School Affiliated to ECUST. Retrieved May 23, 2015.
- "About East China University Science and Technology l Times Higher Education".
- "US News Education l Best Global Universities".
- "Times Higher Education".
- "QS World Universities".
- "Shanghai Ranking".
- "Key Disciplines". www.ecust.edu.cn. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- "East China University of Science and Technology (ECUST), China | Institution outputs | Nature Index". www.natureindex.com. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "Joint Program". ECUST. Retrieved May 23, 2015.
- "本馆简介". ECUST. Retrieved May 23, 2015.
- East China University of Science and Technology (in Chinese)
- East China University of Science and Technology (in English)
- East China University of Technology News Network (in Chinese)