East Dennis, Massachusetts
|East Dennis, Massachusetts|
Sesuit Creek from Bridge Street
Location in Barnstable County and the state of Massachusetts.
|• Total||4.9 sq mi (12.8 km2)|
|• Land||4.8 sq mi (12.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||26 ft (8 m)|
|• Density||575/sq mi (221.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0615830|
East Dennis is located in the northeast part of the town of Dennis at  East Dennis is roughly 3 miles (5 km) north of South Dennis. Directly to the west is the Dennis census-designated place, also known as "North Dennis". East Dennis is 6 miles (10 km) north of West Dennis and is bounded to the north by Cape Cod Bay. It includes Sea Street Beach, Cold Storage Beach, and Crowes Pasture Beach on the bayside.(41.740226, -70.157104).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the East Dennis CDP has a total area of 4.9 square miles (12.8 km2). 4.8 square miles (12.4 km2) of it is land and 0.15 square miles (0.4 km2) of it (3.01%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,299 people, 1,516 households, and 1,027 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 265.4/km² (687.8/mi²). There were 2,203 housing units at an average density of 177.2/km² (459.3/mi²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 97.09% White, 0.79% African American, 0.21% Native American, 0.33% Asian, 0.73% from other races, and 0.85% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.67% of the population.
There were 1,516 households out of which 16.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.6% were married couples living together, 7.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.2% were non-families. 28.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.17 and the average family size was 2.62.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 15.7% under the age of 18, 3.5% from 18 to 24, 17.2% from 25 to 44, 29.4% from 45 to 64, and 34.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 55 years. For every 100 females there were 84.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.3 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $47,857, and the median income for a family was $57,177. Males had a median income of $46,627 versus $30,230 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $27,466. About 5.6% of families and 7.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.2% of those under age 18 and 1.9% of those age 65 or over.
Notable current and former residents of East Dennis include:
- Scott Corbett (1913-2006), author of 69 children's books and six novels including We Chose Cape Cod (1953) describing East Dennis in fascinating detail
- Edward Gelsthorpe (1923–2009), marketing executive called "Cranapple Ed" for his best-known product launch
- Anna Howard Shaw (1847-1919), first American woman ordained Methodist Protestant minister
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): East Dennis CDP, Massachusetts". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 9, 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Grimes, William. "Edward Gelsthorpe, Master Marketer, Dies at 88", The New York Times, September 27, 2009. Accessed September 29, 2009.