East Devon College
East Devon College
|Location||Tiverton, United Kingdom
East Devon College (sometimes shortened to EDC) was a further education college situated in Tiverton, Devon, England. The college operated on four sites; the main campus being located in Tiverton, with three additional sites being located in Honiton, Exmouth and Tiverton. In 2005 the college enrolled 3,144 learners, of which 877 were full-time. Around 80% of those learners were aged between sixteen and eighteen years of age. The college's motto was "Maximising your potential", and its aim was "to develop skills, knowledge and confidence for all".
In 2006 the college secured £6 million worth of funding, which they used to construct two new buildings, a plan which took two years to complete. The two new buildings, which are to be used for a range of subjects including construction, art and design, media studies and photography, were officially opened on March 6, 2008 by Sir Ian Heathcoat, a local dignitary and business leader.
The findings of an Ofsted inspection in 2007 suggested that the college was making "insufficient progress", in such areas as achievements and standards, quality of provision, and leadership and management.
In July 2007 it was announced that EDC was seeking a merger partner. Of the ten learning institutions that showed interest, five were shortlisted to give a presentation to the board of governors who, after a rigorous selection process, selected Barnstaple-based establishment North Devon College as the merger partner. On August 1, 2008 this merger was completed and the new college was reabranded as Petroc.
From September 2009, the former East Devon College became officially known as Petroc's Tiverton Campus.
- "College unveils new 'Grand Designs' in Official Opening Ceremony". East Devon College. 2008-04-21. Retrieved 2008-07-09.[dead link]
- "Monitoring Visit: Main Findings - East Devon College" (PDF). Ofsted. 2007-11-09. Retrieved 2008-01-06.[dead link]
- Tilley, Jean (2007-10-24). "College announces merger". Mid Devon Star. Retrieved 2007-12-04.
- "Merger with East Devon College". North Devon College. 2007-10-19. Archived from the original on October 5, 2008. Retrieved 2007-12-04.
- "An Outstanding College at the Heart of an Outstanding Learning Community". East Devon College. 2008-04-20. Retrieved 2008-07-09.[dead link]