East Garfield Park, Chicago
|East Garfield Park|
|Community Area 27 - East Garfield Park|
The Garfield Park fieldhouse
Location within the city of Chicago
|• Total||1.94 sq mi (5.02 km2)|
|• Density||11,000/sq mi (4,100/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP Codes||parts of 60612 and 60624|
|Median household income||$24,488|
|Source: U.S. Census, Record Information Services|
Taking its name from the large urban park, Garfield Park, the neighborhood is bordered by Franklin Boulevard on the north, Arthington and Taylor Streets on the south, Hamlin Avenue and Independence Boulevard to the west, and Rockwell Street to the east.
|"Chicago Community Area Historical Data".|
Points of interest
Nearly 20% of the neighborhood is managed by the Chicago Park District, with Garfield Park occupying the northwest corner of the neighborhood. The neighborhood is home to the Garfield Park Conservatory, one of the largest and most impressive conservatories in the United States.
East Garfield Park has long-standing issues with violent crime and property crime; in 2014, it was ranked 6th out of 77 Community areas in Chicago in violent crime and 10th among Chicago community areas in property crimes.
Two of Chicago Transit Authority's train lines, the Blue Line and the Green Line, serves this neighborhood. The Green Line has stations at California, Kedzie, and Central Park Drive. The Blue Line has a station in the neighborhood in the median of the Eisenhower Expressway, Kedzie-Homan.
The neighborhood is also served by the CTA's bus service. East-west bus routes include 20 along Madison Street, 126 along Jackson Street, and 7 along Harrison Street. North-south bus routes include 94 along California Avenue, 52 along Kedzie Avenue, and 82 along Homan Avenue.
Chicago Public Schools operates district public schools.
- Paral, Rob. "Chicago Demographics Data". Archived from the original on 2 June 2013. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- Paral, Rob. "Chicago Census Data". Archived from the original on 5 October 2013. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "Crime in Chicagoland - East Garfield Park". chicagotribune.com.
- "East Garfield Park." Urban Prep Academies. Retrieved on December 10, 2010.
- "Contact." Providence St. Mel School. Retrieved on April 16, 2011. "Providence St. Mel 119 South Central Park Avenue Chicago, Illinois 60624"