East Garfield Park, Chicago
|East Garfield Park|
|Community Area 27 - East Garfield Park|
The Garfield Park fieldhouse
Location within the city of Chicago
|• Total||1.94 sq mi (5.02 km2)|
|• Density||11,000/sq mi (4,100/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP Codes||parts of 60612 and 60624|
|Median household income||$24,488|
|Source: U.S. Census, Record Information Services|
East Garfield Park has long-standing issues with violent crime and property crime; in 2014, it was ranked 6th out of 77 Community areas in Chicago in violent crime and 10th among Chicago community areas in property crimes.
Taking its name from the large urban park, Garfield Park, the neighborhood is bordered by Franklin Boulevard on the north, Arthington and Taylor Streets on the south, Hamlin Avenue and Independence Boulevard to the west, and Rockwell Street to the east.
Points of interest
Nearly 20% of the neighborhood is managed by the Chicago Park District, with Garfield Park occupying the northwest corner of the neighborhood. The neighborhood is home to the Garfield Park Conservatory, one of the largest and most impressive conservatories in the United States.
Two of Chicago Transit Authority's train lines, the Blue Line and the Green Line, service this neighborhood. The Green Line has stations at California Ave / Lake St, Kedzie Ave / Lake St, and Central Park Drive / Lake St. The Blue Line has a station in the median of the Eisenhower Expressway with entrances at both Kedzie Ave and Homan Ave.
The neighborhood is also well-served by the CTA's bus service. East-west bus routes include #20 along Madison Street, #126 along Jackson Street, and #7 along Harrison Street. North-south bus routes include #94 along California Avenue, #52 along Kedzie Avenue, and #82 along Homan Avenue.
Chicago Public Schools operates district public schools.
- Paral, Rob. "Chicago Demographics Data". Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- Paral, Rob. "Chicago Census Data". Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "Crime in Chicagoland - East Garfield Park". chicagotribune.com.
- "East Garfield Park." Urban Prep Academies. Retrieved on December 10, 2010.
- "Contact." Providence St. Mel School. Retrieved on April 16, 2011. "Providence St. Mel 119 South Central Park Avenue Chicago, Illinois 60624"
- "Chicago Community Area Historical Data". Chicago Community Area Historical Data. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
||Humboldt Park, Chicago||West Town, Chicago|
|West Garfield Park, Chicago||Near West Side, Chicago|
|North Lawndale, Chicago|