Cottage in East Grimstead being rethatched
|East Grimstead shown within Wiltshire|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Dorset and Wiltshire|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
East Grimstead is a village in Grimstead civil parish, on the River Dun in Wiltshire, England, about 5 miles (8.0 km) east of Salisbury. The village has about 70 households and no shops, public houses or schools.
The Salisbury and Southampton Canal, opened in 1802 or 1803, passed to the south of the village on the south bank of the river; it was never completed as far as Salisbury and closed in 1806. The only surviving canal bridge carries the road south from East Grimstead, near the church.
In 1847 the London and South Western Railway opened its line between Bishopstoke in Hampshire and Milford station at Salisbury, passing East Grimshaw to the south of the canal. The line remains open as part of the Wessex Main Line from Salisbury to Southampton; the nearest station is Dean, at West Dean, about 2 miles (3.2 km) east of East Grimstead.
Since 1934 the village has elected Grimstead parish council, together with West Grimstead. It is in the area of Wiltshire Council unitary authority, which performs all significant local government functions.
- "Holy Trinity Church, East Grimstead". Clarendon Team Ministry. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- Historic England. "Roman Villa, Grimstead (223061)". PastScape. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- Historic England. "Southampton and Salisbury Canal, canal bridge (1181681)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- Historic England. "Church of Holy Trinity, East Grimstead (1023819)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 9 December 2015.
- "Church of the Holy Trinity, East Grimstead". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 9 December 2015.
- "Parish Records / West Dean St Mary with East Grimstead Holy Trinity". The National Archives. Retrieved 9 December 2015.
- "Grimstead". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 9 December 2015.
Media related to East Grimstead at Wikimedia Commons