East Hampshire (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of East Hampshire in Hampshire.
Location of Hampshire within England.
|Electorate||72,648 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Damian Hinds (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Petersfield, Aldershot and Basingstoke|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
Boundaries and profile
1983-1997: The District of East Hampshire wards of Binsted, Bramshott and Liphook, Clanfield and Buriton, East Meon and Langrish, Froyle and Bentley, Froxfield and Steep, Grayshott, Headley, Horndean Catherington, Horndean Hazleton, Horndean Kings, Horndean Murray, Liss, Petersfield Heath, Petersfield St Mary's, Petersfield St Peter's, Rowlands Castle, Selborne, The Hangers, Whitehill Bordon and Whitehill, and Whitehill Lindford, and the District of Hart wards of Church Crookham, Crondall, Fleet Courtmoor, Fleet Pondtail, Fleet West, Hook, Long Sutton, and Odiham.
1997-2010: The District of East Hampshire wards of Alton Holybourne, Alton North East, Alton North West, Alton South East, Alton South West and Beech, Clanfield and Buriton, East Meon and Langrish, Farringdon, Four Marks, Froxfield and Steep, Horndean Catherington, Horndean Hazleton, Horndean Kings, Horndean Murray, Liss, Medstead, North Downland, Petersfield Heath, Petersfield St Mary's, Petersfield St Peter's, Ropley and West Tisted, Rowlands Castle, and The Hangers, and the Borough of Havant wards of Cowplain, Hart Plain, and Waterloo.
2010-present: The District of East Hampshire wards of Alton Amery, Alton Ashdell, Alton Eastbrooke, Alton Westbrooke, Alton Whitedown, Alton Wooteys, Binstead and Bentley, Bramshott and Liphook, Downland, East Meon, Four Marks and Medstead, Froxfield and Steep, Grayshott, Headley, Holybourne and Froyle, Lindford, Liss, Petersfield Bell Hill, Petersfield Causeway, Petersfield Heath, Petersfield Rother, Petersfield St Mary's, Petersfield St Peter's, Ropley and Tisted, Selborne, The Hangers and Forest, Whitehill Chase, Whitehill Deadwater, Whitehill Hogmoor, Whitehill Pinewood, and Whitehill Walldown.
The constituency is based on a similar area to that of the East Hampshire district, which it does not fill completely. The constituency includes the medium-sized towns of Petersfield, Alton, smaller towns of Bordon, Liss and Liphook, and a small part of the Havant borough north of Waterlooville, in turn north of Portsmouth. Much of the seat is the East Hampshire Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Results to date, apart from in 1997 result, suggest the seat is a Conservative Party safe seat and on national opinion-poll adjusted results, Hinds has the 28th highest share of the vote for the party in the country. The Liberal Democrats or its predecessor the Liberals have finished second in every election bar 2015 where UKIP finished second with 12.3% of the vote.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||Richard Robinson||8,403||15.2||+4.1|
|Liberal Democrat||Richard Robinson||5,732||11.1||−19.4|
|Liberal Democrat||Adam Carew||15,640||30.5||−3.5|
|English Democrat||Matt Williams||710||1.4||N/A|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Ruth Bright||18,764||35.3||+5.4|
|Liberal Democrat||Robert Booker||15,060||29.9||+1.8|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Robert Booker||16,337||28.1|
|Liberal Democrat||Susan Baring||18,376||24.8||−4.1|
Elections in the 1980s
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "'Hampshire East', June 1983 up to May 1997". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Retrieved 11 March 2016.
- Electoral Calculus - percentage by party columns
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "H" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Hampshire East parliamentary constituency". BBC News.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.