East Haven High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|East Haven High School|
|East Haven, Connecticut|
|Motto||"Exploring, Empowering, Achieving"|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Southern Connecticut Conference|
East Haven High School is located at 35 Wheelbarrow Lane in East Haven, Connecticut. It was located at 200 Tyler Street until September 1997. It is a co-educational public school serving grades nine through twelve. Its school colors are blue and gold and its mascot is the yellow jacket. The school is part of the Southern Connecticut Conference for athletics. East Haven High School is also known for its marching band.
East Haven High School's principal is Vincent DeNuzzo. He is aided by vice principal Susan Harkins. Mark Hughes is the school's Dean of Students.
Each of East Haven High School's main academic departments is headed by an instructional leader:
- Maria Pompano - Science
- Jennifer Bauer - Mathematics
- Joseph Marangell - Social Studies
- Lisa Veleas - English
East Haven High School has classes for different levels of learning. It offers University of Connecticut credit classes, Porter and Chester Institute classes, 12 Advanced Placement courses, Honors classes, Level 1 courses, and Level 2 courses.
It offers classes in:
- Family and Consumer Science
- Medical Career
- Physical Education
- Social Studies
- World Language
East Haven High School is a member of the Southern Connecticut Conference (SCC). The school offers numerous women's and men's sports, most of which are played at the freshmen, JV, and varsity level. Sports are played in three seasons throughout the school year:
- Cross Country
- Indoor Track
- Pom Poms
- Outdoor Track
Yellow Jacket Marching Band
The Yellow Jacket Marching Band is a competitive marching band that has been competing in USBand competitions since 1999. As of 2014, the band became a Class 2A Band prior to being a part of Class 1A. Each school year, the Yellow Jackets compete in seven competitions. They also perform at East Haven High School’s home football games, pep rallies, and march in parades.
- Matt Laudano - Band Director
- John Moynihan - Field Percussion
- Matt Torcellini - Pitt Instructor
- Mary-Ann Bucci - Color Guard
- Ray Clark - Drill Writer and Marching Instructor
- Tyler Miller - Brass Instructor
- 2001 National Championship
- 2002 State, New England, and National Championship
- 2004 State, New England, and National Championship
- 2005 State and New England Championship
- 2007 State, New England and National Championship
- 2008 State Championship
- 2010 State and New England Championship
- 2011 State and New England Championship
- 2014 Musical Arts Conference Class I and State Championship
SADD is a group that helps students deal with the tough decisions and their consequences during their high school years. They placed as finalists in the Connecticut DMV Video Challenge in the 2009-2010 school year.
- Mike Lawlor '74 - State Representative
- Ed Rapuano '75 - MLB Baseball Umpire
- Matt DelGuidice '86 - Former NHL Hockey Goalie
- James Albis '02 - State Representative
- "Staff Directory". East Haven High School Website. Retrieved 13 December 2014.
- "Program of Studies".
- "Academics". East Haven High School's Website. Retrieved 13 December 2014.
- "East Haven Public Schools Athletics". Retrieved 13 December 2014.
- Kaufmann, Brianna. "Yellow Jacket Marching Band and Color Guard" (1). The Comet - EHHS. Retrieved 13 December 2014.
- "About". ehhsmb.weebly.com. Weebly. Retrieved 13 December 2014.
- Alsever, Robert. "East Haven High School Yellow Jacket Marching Band". ehhsmb.org. Retrieved 13 December 2014.
- Carlson, Robin. "East Haven High School Yellowjacket Marching Band are Musical Arts Conference Class I Champions". patch.com. Retrieved 13 December 2014.