Highland Township, Oakland County, Michigan
|Highland Charter Township, Michigan|
Highland Township offices
Location of Highland Township within Oakland County, Michigan.
|• Total||35.8 sq mi (92.8 km2)|
|• Land||33.6 sq mi (87.1 km2)|
|• Water||2.2 sq mi (5.7 km2)|
|Elevation||1,027 ft (313 m)|
|• Density||540/sq mi (210/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626469|
Highland Township was founded by pioneer families in 1835. A major factor in the development of Highland was the railroad, which allowed lumber to be transported cheaply, and allowed pickles from the township's early factories to be exported easily. In 2003, in an effort to retain its rural character, as well as preserve its extensive equestrian heritage, Highland declared itself an "equestrian community" and began active support and encouragement of the equestrian presence and related development in the township. In 2006, thanks in large part to the efforts of the Highland Equestrian Conservancy, Highland Township received official recognition by the state government as Michigan's first designated equestrian community.
While there are no incorporated villages in the township, there are six unincorporated communities:
- Clyde is located at Milford and Clyde Roads ( Clyde had a Post Office from May 2, 1872 to February 22, 1968. The community also had a rail station. Clyde was platted in 1875. Elevation: 1033 ft./315 m.).
- East Highland is located at Duck Lake and Highland Roads( Elevation: 1050 ft./320 m.).
- Hickory Ridge is located at Hickory Ridge and Clyde Roads ( Elevation: 1112 ft./339 m.).
- Highland is located along Livingston Road between Highland and Eleanor Roads (Western point:  Eastern point: Elevation: 1014 ft./309 m.).
- Seven Harbors is located on Duck Lake Road between White Lake and Wardlow Roads and Duck Lake and White Lake ( Elevation: 1030/314 m.).
- West Highland is located at Hickory Ridge and Highland Roads ( Elevation: 1014 ft./309 m.).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.8 square miles (93 km2), of which 33.6 square miles (87 km2) is land and 2.2 square miles (5.7 km2), or 6.14%, is water. Nearly 1/4 of the land in Highland Township is owned by the State of Michigan as part of Highland Recreation Area.
As of the census of 2000, there were 19,169 people, 6,786 households, and 5,374 families residing in the township. The population density was 570.2 per square mile (220.1/km2). There were 7,179 housing units at an average density of 213.5 per square mile (82.4/km2). The racial makeup of the township was 97.42% White, 0.30% African American, 0.46% Native American, 0.37% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.25% from other races, and 1.17% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.27% of the population.
There were 6,786 households out of which 41.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.8% were married couples living together, 8.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.8% were non-families. 16.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.82 and the average family size was 3.17.
The age distribution was as follows:29.0% of the population was under the age of 18, 7.4% from 18 to 24, 31.6% from 25 to 44, 24.7% from 45 to 64, and 7.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 101.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.3 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $62,805, and the median income for a family was $70,286. Males had a median income of $50,944 versus $29,867 for females. The per capita income for the township was $25,484. About 3.8% of families and 5.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.7% of those under age 18 and 6.5% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Highland Township, Oakland County, Michigan
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Highland charter township, Oakland County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved August 22, 2011.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Clyde, Michigan & GNIS in Google Map
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Clyde Post Office (historical), Michigan Citation: Ellis, David M. Michigan Postal History, The Post Offices 1805-1986. 12-Dec-1993.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Clyde Station (historical), Michigan Citation: Walker, Mike. SPV's Comprehensive Railroad Atlas of North America-Great Lakes East. 31-Dec-1996.
- Walter Romig, Michigan Place Names, p. 122
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: East Highland, Michigan & GNIS in Google Map
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Hickory Ridge, Michigan & GNIS in Google Map
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Highland, Michigan & GNIS in Google Map
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Seven Harbors, Michigan & GNIS in Google Map
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: West Highland, Michigan & GNIS in Google Map
- "Contact Us." (Archive) Huron Valley School District. Retrieved on September 5, 2013. "2390 South Milford Road Highland, MI 48357"
- "Zoning Map." (Archive) Highland Township. Retrieved on September 5, 2013.
- "Home." Milford High School. Retrieved on September 5, 2013. 2380 South Milford Road Highland, MI 48357"
- Charter Township of Highland
- Highland Downtown Development Authority
- Highland Township Historical Society
- Highland Township Public Library
||Tyrone Township, Livingston County||Rose Township||Springfield Township|
|Hartland Township, Livingston County||White Lake Township|
|Brighton Township, Livingston County||Milford Township||Commerce Township|
||Hickory Ridge||Clyde||Seven Harbors