East Leeds Parkway railway station
|East Leeds Parkway|
|Local authority||City of Leeds|
|Number of platforms||3|
|Passenger Transport Executive|
|PTE||West Yorkshire (Metro)|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|UK Railways portal|
It will be served by trains from the west of Leeds which would normally terminate at Leeds station; by continuing eastwards to this station, it is hoped that extra capacity for through trains would be created at Leeds. The station would also form the first phase of electrifying the railway line to the east of Leeds. As a parkway station, the intention would be to allow for a park-and-ride service and the plans include parking for 500 cars.
£20 million was allocated to the scheme by the Yorkshire and Humber Regional Transport Board in April 2008. It was originally hoped that construction would begin in 2011, with a completion date of 2012, but the business case was not submitted to the Department for Transport until 2011. The scheme has now been put on hold due to a lack of central government funding.
The station is likely to be made up of 2 long platforms, capable of serving inter-city trains, as well as a bay platform for terminating services.
The station also featured in plans by Alliance Rail as a stopping point for services between Ilkley/Bradford Forster Square and London Kings Cross to begin in 2017. However in May 2016, the Office of Rail and Road rejected Alliance Rail's plans to runs services under its GNER banner.
The proposals have been downplayed in favour of an alternative site at Thorpe Park (which is further west). The West Yorkshire Combined Authority has stated that it is to review the options because of the lack of clarity over the Northern Powerhouse enhancement would mean that only stopping trains (operated by Northern) would stop at any future site.
In November 2017, the ‘Connecting People: Strategic Vision for Rail’Report by the Government proposed a new station in Thorpe Park as part of a plan to revers the Beeching Cuts.
- "£80 million transport funding for Leeds City Region, but Metro has future aspirations" (PDF). Railway Herald. 28 April 2008. p. 3. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "Leeds City Region Rail" (PDF). Railfuture Yorkshire. August 2008. p. 1. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "Strategic Business Plan April Update" (PDF). Network Rail. Retrieved 24 June 2008.
- "RailPlan Update" (PDF). West Yorkshire Integrated Transport Authority. 30 November 2009. Retrieved 15 December 2009.
- "Meeting of Calderdale Passenger Consultative Committee" (PDF). West Yorkshire Integrated Transport Authority. 11 January 2011. Retrieved 4 May 2011.
- "Update on major schemes" (PDF). West Yorkshire Integrated Transport Authority. 14 December 2010. Retrieved 4 May 2010.
- "Rail Working Group Strategic Update" (PDF). West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Authority. 11 March 2008. Retrieved 27 June 2008.
- "Rail regulator considers bid for more services between Bradford and London". Telegraph and Argus. 14 July 2014. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "VTEC and FirstGroup granted East Coast Main Line access". Railway gazette. 12 May 2016. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "New Railway Stations in North and West Yorkshire Feasibility Study" (PDF). WYMetro. 14 October 2014. p. 37. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "East Leeds Parkway location in doubt". Rail Magazine. No. 795. 2 March 2016. p. 10. ISSN 0953-4563.
- The Railway Magazine January 2018