East Lothian (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of East Lothian in Scotland.
|Member of Parliament||Martin Whitfield (Labour)|
|Created from||Berwick and East Lothian, Edinburgh East and Midlothian|
|European Parliament constituency||Scotland|
East Lothian is a constituency in Scotland which returned one Member of Parliament (MP) to the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom, elected by the first past the post voting system.
The constituency was created for the 1983 general election. Until the SNP landslide victory in 2015, it had been continuously represented by an MP from the Labour Party since the constituency's creation 32 years earlier. From 2015 until the snap general election in 2017, the constituency was represented by George Kerevan of the Scottish National Party; who was defeated by Martin Whitfield of the Labour Party by 3,083 votes.
The East Lothian Constituency Labour Party voted on 22 January 2010 to deselect the previous MP Anne Moffat. The National Executive Committee upheld the decision on 23 March 2010. Fiona O'Donnell was elected in 2010 with an increased majority for the Labour Party compared to 2005. O'Donnell lost her seat to George Kerevan of the SNP at the 2015 general election; who was elected with a majority of 6,803 votes.
1983-1997: East Lothian District.
1997-2005: The East Lothian District electoral divisions of Fa'side, Haddington, Luffness, Preston/Levenhall, and Tantallon.
2005–present: East Lothian Council area (except for Musselburgh).
The constituency covers part of the East Lothian council area in Scotland. The East Lothian town of Musselburgh was added to part of Midlothian Council area to create Midlothian North and Musselburgh CC. Before the 1983 general election, the area lay in the Berwick and East Lothian constituency.
Members of Parliament
|1983||John Home Robertson||Labour|
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||Elisabeth Wilson||1,738||3.1||+0.5|
|Labour gain from SNP||Swing||+8.6|
|Liberal Democrat||Ettie Spencer||1,517||2.6||−14.3|
|Scottish Green||Jason Rose||1,245||2.1||+0.4|
|SNP gain from Labour||Swing||+20.1|
|Liberal Democrat||Stuart Ritchie||8,228||16.9||−8.0|
|Scottish Green||James Mackenzie||862||1.8||−0.7|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Chris Butler||11,363||24.8||+7.6|
|Scottish Green||Michael Collie||1,132||2.5||N/A|
|Scottish Socialist||Gary Galbraith||504||1.1||N/A|
|Christian Vote||William Thompson||178||0.4||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||Judith Hayman||6,506||17.6||+7.1|
|Scottish Socialist||Derrick White||624||1.7||N/A|
|Socialist Labour||James Herriot||376||1.0||N/A|
Elections in the 1990s
|Labour||John Home Robertson||22,881||52.7||+6.2|
|SNP||David R. McCarthy||6,825||15.7||+1.5|
|Liberal Democrat||Alison MacAskill||4,575||10.5||−0.7|
|Referendum||Norman S. Nash||491||1.1||N/A|
|Labour||John Home Robertson||25,537||46.5||−1.6|
|Conservative||James P. Hepburne-Scott||15,501||28.2||−0.1|
|SNP||George R. Thomson||7,776||14.2||+6.9|
|Liberal Democrat||Tim McKay||6,126||11.2||−4.3|
Elections in the 1980s
|Labour||John Home Robertson||24,583||48.0||+4.1|
|Labour||John Home Robertson||20,934||43.9||N/A|
|Labour win (new seat)|
- "'East Lothian', June 1983 up to May 1997". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Retrieved 11 March 2016.
- "Moffat faces deselection after police called to club rebellion". Edinburgh Evening News. 25 January 2010. Retrieved 30 January 2010.
- Carrell, Severin (23 March 2010). "Labour party upholds decision to deselect East Lothian MP Anne Moffat". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 23 March 2010.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "E" (part 1)
- "Latest candidate announced for General Election". East Lothian Courier.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Jones, Matt. "UK Parliamentary General Election". www.eastlothian.gov.uk.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
-  BBC News
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Aristotle: East Lothian", Guardian Unlimited
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Archived from the original on 24 July 2011. Retrieved 6 Dec 2010.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Archived from the original on 3 June 2016. Retrieved 6 Dec 2010.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.