East Millstone, New Jersey
|East Millstone, New Jersey|
|Census designated place|
East Millstone along Amwell Road (CR 514)
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|• Total||2.296 sq mi (5.946 km2)|
|• Land||2.234 sq mi (5.785 km2)|
|• Water||0.062 sq mi (0.161 km2) 2.70%|
|Elevation||85 ft (26 m)|
|Population (Census 2010)|
|• Density||259.2/sq mi (100.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||Eastern (EDT) (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||609 and 732/848|
|GNIS feature ID||02583985|
East Millstone is an unincorporated community and census designated place (CDP) located in Franklin Township, in Somerset County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the CDP's population was 579. It is a small rural community that grew and prospered with a small industrial base in the 19th Century, centered on the Delaware and Raritan Canal at Amwell Road and the long-abandoned Millstone and New Brunswick Railroad that terminated in East Millstone. East Millstone was an independent municipality from 1873-1949.
East Millstone existed as an independent municipality for over 75 years. It was incorporated as a town by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 18, 1873, from portions of Franklin Township, and existed on its own until December 31, 1949, when it was returned to Franklin Township.
The independent municipality of Millstone, New Jersey, a borough which is not part of Franklin Township, is located across the Millstone River, which is directly west of the Delaware and Raritan Canal.
East Millstone maintains its rural character into the 21st Century, with a firehouse, a post office and just a handful of local businesses. The housing stock is also quite old, with no new development in the East Millstone section of Franklin Township in recent years.
According to the United States Census Bureau, East Millstone had a total area of 2.296 square miles (5.946 km2), of which, 2.234 square miles (5.785 km2) of it was land and 0.062 square miles (0.161 km2) of it (2.70%) was water.
|Population sources: 1890-1910
At the 2010 United States Census, there were 579 people, 233 households, and 161 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 259.2 per square mile (100.1/km2). There were 246 housing units at an average density of 110.1 per square mile (42.5/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 78.58% (455) White, 10.54% (61) Black or African American, 0.00% (0) Native American, 7.77% (45) Asian, 0.00% (0) Pacific Islander, 0.35% (2) from other races, and 2.76% (16) from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 2.94% (17) of the population.
There were 233 households, of which 23.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.5% were married couples living together, 6.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.9% were non-families. 22.7% of all households were made up of individuals, and 5.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 2.94.
In the CDP, 16.4% of the population were under the age of 18, 5.0% from 18 to 24, 23.1% from 25 to 44, 39.6% from 45 to 64, and 15.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 47.5 years. For every 100 females there were 101.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.2 males.
National Register of Historic Places
East Millstone Historic District
East Millstone Historic District
|Location||East Millstone, New Jersey|
|NRHP Reference #||83001613|
|Added to NRHP||1983|
- Gazetteer of New Jersey Places, United States Census Bureau. Accessed June 13, 2013.
- US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: East Millstone Census Designated Place, Geographic Names Information System. Accessed August 23, 2012.
- DP-1 - Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data for East Millstone CDP, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed August 23, 2012.
- GCT-PH1 - Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place from the 2010 Census Summary File 1 for Somerset County, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed February 11, 2013.
- 2006-2010 American Community Survey Geography for New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed February 11, 2013.
- New Jersey: 2010 - Population and Housing Unit Counts - 2010 Census of Population and Housing (CPH-2-32), United States Census Bureau, August 2012. Accessed February 11, 2013.
- Snyder, John P. The Story of New Jersey's Civil Boundaries: 1606-1968, John P. Snyder, Bureau of Geology and Topography; Trenton, New Jersey; 1969. p. 223. Accessed August 23, 2012.
- Brahms, William B., Franklin Township, Somerset County, NJ: A History, FTPL; ISBN 0-9668586-0-3
- Thirteenth Census of the United States, 1910: Population by Counties and Minor Civil Divisions, 1910, 1900, 1890, United States Census Bureau, p. 338. Accessed August 23, 2012.
- Fifteenth Census of the United States : 1930 - Population Volume I, United States Census Bureau, p. 718. Accessed August 23, 2012.
- Sixteenth Census of the United States : 1940 - Population Volume I, United States Census Bureau, p. 674. Accessed February 12, 2013.
- Brahms, William B. Franklin Township, Somerset County, NJ: A History, FTPL; ISBN 0-9668586-0-3