East Orange station
The East Orange station in April 2015, facing toward Brick Church.
|Location||65 City Hall Plaza, East Orange, New Jersey|
|Owned by||New Jersey Transit|
|Platforms||1 side platform and 1 island platform|
|Connections|| NJT Bus: 21, 71, 73, 79, and 94
Community Coach: 77
East Orange Station
East Orange station depot.
Location in Essex, County, New Jersey
|Architectural style||Other, Tudor Revival, Jacobethan Revival|
|MPS||Operating Passenger Railroad Stations TR|
|NRHP Reference #||84002638|
|Added to NRHP||June 22, 1984|
|Opened||November 19, 1836|
|Passengers (2012)||282 (average weekday)|
East Orange is a New Jersey Transit station on the Morris and Essex line in East Orange, Essex County, New Jersey, United States. This elevated station was built in 1923 for the Lackawanna and now has trains from the Morristown Line and the Gladstone Branch, including service to Hoboken Terminal and Midtown Direct service to New York Penn Station in Midtown Manhattan. The station is next to the westbound lanes of Interstate 280 about five hundred yards west of the Garden State Parkway. The East Orange City Hall is north of the station.
ADA accessibility and viaduct improvements
Station owner New Jersey Transit decided to perform work at East Orange station to improve accessibility for the handicapped and to repair eighty-year-old viaducts at the station. At a cost of $22.9m, repair work at East Orange, along with nearby stations Brick Church and South Orange, commenced in 2004. East Orange received a mini-high level platform, the tracks surrounding the station were upgraded with concrete ties and the stairways leading to the platforms were replaced.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "QUARTERLY RIDERSHIP TRENDS ANALYSIS" (PDF). New Jersey Transit. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 27, 2012. Retrieved January 4, 2013.
- Monmouth County Listings, National Register of Historic Places. Accessed September 2, 2007.
- East Orange New Jersey Transit Railroad Station Survey
- M&E station improvement and viaduct rehabilitation NJ Transit official site Retrieved 2007-08-06
- NJ Transit approves $22.9 million in viaduct repairs Progressive Railroading Retrieved 2007-08-06
- NJ Transit breaks ground on three-station rehab project Progressive Railroading Retrieved 2007-08-07
Media related to East Orange (NJT station) at Wikimedia Commons