East Point Light
East Point Light, 2014
|Location||Lighthouse Road, near the jct. of East Point Road, Maurice River Township, New Jersey|
|Year first constructed||1849|
|Year first lit||1849|
|Tower shape||Octagonal on roof of rectangular building|
|Height||40 feet (12.2 m)|
|Original lens||Sixth order Fresnel lens|
|Characteristic||Iso W 6s|
|Heritage||place listed on the National Register of Historic Places|
Maurice River Lighthouse
|Area||3.6 acres (1.5 ha)|
|Architect||N. & S. Middleton|
|NRHP reference #||95001047 (original)
|Added to NRHP||August 25, 1995|
|Boundary increase||October 30, 2015|
|Designated NJRHP||July 17, 1995|
The East Point Light, known as the Maurice River Light before 1913, is a lighthouse located in Heislerville, New Jersey on the Delaware Bay at the mouth of the Maurice River in Maurice River Township, Cumberland County, New Jersey, United States. The lighthouse was built in 1849 and is the second oldest in New Jersey, with only the Sandy Hook Light, which was built in 1764, being older. The light was inactive from 1941 and was nearly destroyed by fire in 1971. The light was reinstated by the United States Coast Guard in 1980. Exterior restoration was completed in 1999.
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places - Cumberland County" (PDF). New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection - Historic Preservation Office. February 12, 2018. p. 3.
- Gowdy, James T. (August 25, 1995). "NRHP Nomination: East Point Lighthouse". National Park Service. "Accompanying 34 photos".
- Media related to Maurice River lighthouse at Wikimedia Commons
- Visiting East Point Lighthouse - New Jersey Lighthouse Society
- NPS - East Point Light at Historic light stations
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: New Jersey". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office.
- East Point Light - from Lighthousefriends.com
- NASA Astronomy Picture of the Day: Photo at night (8 January 2012)
|This article relating to a United States lighthouse is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a property in New Jersey on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|