East Southsea railway station
The line crossed a bridge here and terminated shortly afterwards.
|Area||City of Portsmouth|
|Original company||Southsea Railway (1885 to 1914)|
|2 July 1885||Opened|
|8 August 1914||Closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
|Railways in the Portsmouth area|
East Southsea was the terminus of the 1.25 mile Southsea Railway, which linked the resort with the main line from London at Fratton. The 1885 station on Granada Rd had an overall glass roof, but its replacement for the 1903 railcar service, further along Granada Rd, about 50 yards (46 m) south, only had a small wooden platform and a waiting room. The 1885 station was demolished in the 1970s. The only discrete station until 1904 (when Jessie Road and Albert Road opened), it was initially a success, but was unable to compete with the burgeoning tramway network. The final nail in the line's coffin was a government directive issued shortly after the declaration of war to the effect that railways unable to support themselves would cease operations at the earliest opportunity; and, as the line clearly fell into this category, the last train ran early in August 1914. Abandonment and part removal of the line was sanctioned by section 55 of the Southern Railway Act 1923.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
- Very unusually, the two companies ran the line in alternate years "Portsmouth in the past"Gates,W:Portsmouth, S.P, 1925 rpr1972 ISBN 0-85409-744-9
- "The Southsea Railway" Robertson,K: Southampton, Kingfisher, 1985 ISBN 0-946184-16-X
- Mitchell, Vic; Smith, Keith (December 1985). Southern Main Lines: Woking to Portsmouth. Midhurst: Middleton Press. ISBN 0-906520-25-8.
- Railway Magazine June 1936 p. 397
- History in Portsmouth (with further history and photos of the station and railcar)
- "Hampshire railways remembered" Oppitz,L Newbury, Countryside 1988 ISBN 1-85306-020-8
- Despite being 0.25 miles from the coast
- ”Portsmouth’s tramways” Petch,M: Midhurst, Middleton Press,1996 ISBN 1-873793-72-3