East St. Louis Senior High School
|East St. Louis Senior High School|
|4901 State Street
East St. Louis, Illinois 62205
|School district||East Saint Louis Public Schools|
|Faculty||58.09 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||24.75|
|Color(s)||Orange and Blue|
|Slogan||All gas, No breaks|
|Sports||Basketball (men & womens), Football, Wrestling, Volleyball (men & women’s) Cheerleading, Track & Field (men & womens), Baseball, Softball, Tennis|
East Saint Louis Senior High School is the only high school located in East Saint Louis, Illinois. The school serves about 1,438 students in grades 9 to 12 in the East Saint Louis Public Schools district. It was featured in the Jonathan Kozol book Savage Inequalities. In 1998, East St. Louis Lincoln High School consolidated with East St. Louis High.
East St. Louis Senior High School won the 2008 Class 7A football state championship against Geneva High School. The Flyers have a storied history in Illinois high school football, having won the state championship over a half-dozen times and the national championship twice. From 1976 to the beginning of the 1995 season, the Flyers' coach was Bob Shannon. Two years of Flyers football during that period were the subject of a book, The Right Kind of Heroes.
The Flyers compete in the Southwestern Conference.
- Miles Davis, class of 1944, jazz musician.
- Hank Bauer, Former MLB player. (New York Yankees, Kansas City Athletics) and manager (Kansas City Athletics, Baltimore Orioles)
- Ed Blake, Former MLB player. (Cincinnati Reds, Kansas City Athletics)
- Rose Marion Boylan, (ca. 1875-1947) known professionally as Rose Marion, newspaper reporter and clubwoman
- Homer Bush, Former MLB player. (New York Yankees, Toronto Blue Jays, Florida Marlins)
- Bryan Cox, Former NFL player. (Miami Dolphins, Chicago Bears)
- Kerry Glenn, Former NFL football player. (New York Jets, Miami Dolphins)
- Dawn Harper, Olympic runner.
- Bennie Lewis, professional basketball player
- Jean Madeira, opera mezzo-soprano.
- Darius Miles, NBA basketball player.
- Victor Scott, Former NFL football player (Dallas Cowboys).
- Dan Thomas, Milwaukee Brewers baseball player 1976 – 1977.
- Bob Turley, Former MLB player (St. Louis Browns, Baltimore Orioles, New York Yankees, Los Angeles Angels, Boston Red Sox).
- Bill Walker, Former MLB player (New York Giants, St. Louis Browns).
- Johnny Wyrostek, East St. Louis High grad, star player for the Cincinnati Reds.
- Dana Howard, East St. Louis high grad, star linebacker for U. of Illinois, former NFL player.
- Marion Lee Wilde, class of 1939, one of the Wilde Twins. Movie actress 1942-1949.
- Mary Lynn Wilde, class of 1939, one of the Wilde Twins. Movie actress 1942-1953.
- Kellen Winslow, graduated 1975, NFL Hall of Fame tight end (San Diego Chargers).
- "East St Louis Senior High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- "East St Louis Senior High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved on 29 August 2015.
- "East St. Louis Lincoln". illinoishsglorydays.com. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- "Geneva falls short of first championship bid". Daily Herald. Nov 29, 2008. Retrieved 2010-06-09.
- "East St. Louis' Miles faces fantastic future". Daily Herald. HighBeam. March 18, 2000. Retrieved 2008-12-18.
- East St. Louis Sr. High School page at East St. Louis Public Schools