East Surrey Hospital
|East Surrey Hospital|
|Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust|
Entrance to East Surrey Hospital
|Location||Canada Avenue, Redhill, Surrey, RH1 5RH, Surrey, England, United Kingdom|
|Care system||National Health Service|
|Affiliated university||Brighton and Sussex Medical School|
|Emergency department||Yes Accident & Emergency|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
The hospital has its origins in the Reigate Cottage Hospital which was founded by Dr John Walters and opened in North Albert Road in 1866. It moved to Whitepost Hill on the northern edge of Redhill Common as the Reigate and Redhill Hospital in 1871 and it became the East Surrey Hospital in 1923. It joined the National Health Service in 1948.
The current facility, which allowed the closure of the previous facility and for the closure of the Smallfield Cottage Hospital, opened in Three Arch Road in 1981. The new facility was officially opened by the Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher, on 3 August 1984. The second phase of building, which allowed the closure of Redhill General Hospital at Earlswood Common, opened in 1991. The second phase was officially opened by Virginia Bottomley MP in 1992.
The hospital, a designated trauma unit, offers a wide range of medical services including 24-hour Accident and Emergency, Intensive Care and High Dependency Units, gynaecology, obstetrics, midwifery and maternity services, paediatrics and diagnostic imaging, as well as the usual general surgery services. As the nearest accident and emergency to London's Gatwick Airport, it is placed on standby when a serious aircraft incident is expected.
|Frequency||1431 kHz |
|First air date||February 1975|
Radio Redhill is a hospital radio station broadcasting to the patients and staff of the East Surrey Hospital in Redhill, Surrey. It is available on 1431 AM, online and on the hospital's internal radio system. The station was winner of the gold Station of the Year award at the Hospital Broadcasting Awards in 2005.
- "East Surrey Hospital". Dr Foster. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "About us". Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust website. Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "East Surrey Hospital formerly Reigate and Redhill Hospital, Annual Reports etc". National Archives. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "East Surrey Hospital, Redhill". National Archives. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "East Surrey Hospital". Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "East Surrey Hospital". Lost Hospitals of London. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "SASH A to Z of services". SASH. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "East Surrey Hospital simulates response to Gatwick Airport plane crash to show 'reality' to employees". Surrey Live. 28 September 2018. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "Long Term RSLs". Ofcom. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "Online Service". Radio Redhill. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "National Hospital Award Winners 2005". Hospital Broadcasting Awards. Retrieved 3 December 2018.