East Tawakoni, Texas
|East Tawakoni, Texas|
East Tawakoni City Hall and Civic Center
Location of East Tawakoni, Texas
|• Total||1.9 sq mi (4.8 km2)|
|• Land||1.8 sq mi (4.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||469 ft (143 m)|
|• Density||460/sq mi (180/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1335000|
East Tawakoni is a city in Rains County, Texas, United States. The population was 883 at the 2010 census. A July 1, 2008 U.S. Census Bureau estimate placed the population at 966.East Tawakoni is located on the east side of Lake Tawakoni, while its twin city West Tawakoni is located on the west side of the lake.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.9 square miles (4.9 km2), of which, 1.8 square miles (4.7 km2) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) of it (2.16%) is water.
Marketed as a relaxed rural community with easy access to Dallas, East Tawakoni was established on June 6, 1967 after an election in which 30 of 45 residents voted in favor of incorporation. A mayor (Grady A. Whitehead) and five aldermen (Raymond Briggs, A.L. Williams, D.A. "Doc" Vincent, A.O. Murphrey, and T.E. Bell) were elected on June 27, 1967. In a local option election held on February 6, 1968, residents voted 38-32 (54.3%-45.7%) in favor of selling alcoholic beverages. The move ended more than 60 years of Rains County being wholly "dry". East Tawakoni had a population of 278 in 1970. That same year, a fire destroyed the city hall building and all of its records. City officials met in the garage of a local resident until a new building was constructed. The annexation of the Blue Heron Cove subdivision in 1986 doubled the size of East Tawakoni. By 1990, the city was home to 542 people. The population grew to 775 in 2000, a 43 percent increase over the 1990 figure.
As of the census of 2000, there were 775 people, 317 households, and 224 families residing in the city. The population density was 428.4 people per square mile (165.3/km²). There were 433 housing units at an average density of 239.4/sq mi (92.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 94.97% White, 0.39% African American, 1.68% Native American, 1.03% Asian, 1.16% from other races, and 0.77% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.90% of the population.
There were 317 households out of which 24.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.0% were married couples living together, 7.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.3% were non-families. 23.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 2.84.
In the city, the age distribution of the population shows 22.5% under the age of 18, 3.6% from 18 to 24, 23.9% from 25 to 44, 28.5% from 45 to 64, and 21.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 45 years. For every 100 females there were 101.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.4 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $35,789, and the median income for a family was $44,926. Males had a median income of $35,078 versus $24,107 for females. The per capita income for the city was $19,186. About 3.6% of families and 8.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under age 18 and 17.1% of those age 65 or over.
The City of East Tawakoni is served by the Rains Independent School District.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Table 4: Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places in Texas, Listed Alphabetically: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2008" (CSV). United States Census Bureau, Population Division. 2009-07-01. Retrieved 2009-08-17.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "East Tawakoni, Texas". The Handbook of Texas online. Retrieved 2009-08-17.
- "East Tawakoni History". City of East Tawakoni. Retrieved 2009-08-17.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.