East Texas Baptist University
|College of Marshall (1912-1944) East Texas Baptist College (1944-1984)|
|Motto||A world of opportunity in a community of faith|
|Type||Private four-year undergraduate|
|Affiliation||Baptist General Convention of Texas|
|Location||Marshall, Texas, U.S.
|Colors||Navy and Gold|
|Affiliations||NCAA Division III – American Southwest Conference|
ETBU is located on the site of the former Van Zandt Plantation, which is at the highest altitude in Harrison County. ETBU was founded as the College of Marshall in 1912, after a campaign to create a Southern Baptist college in East Texas. The campus' first building, Marshall Hall, was completed in 1916. It was designed to house a gymnasium, library, chapel/theatre, administrative offices and classrooms. The College of Marshall opened the following year in 1917 as a two-year junior college and academy. The College was greatly enlarged during the aegis of President Frank Shelby Groner who served as president of the college from 1928 until 1942. It became East Texas Baptist College in 1944
ETBU is fully accredited with the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. In 1957, ETBU became an accredited member of the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The accreditation was last reaffirmed in 2009, with the next reaffirmation due in 2019. ETBU also is accredited by The Board of Nurse Examiners for the State of Texas for Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN), the Commissions of Collegiate Nursing Education, and the National Association of Schools of Music.
During the day, the campus is patrolled by the on-campus security officer. Security cameras record 24 hours a day and are monitored from 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. Call boxes are placed in strategic locations around campus. At night, the campus is monitored by private security officers (off-duty Marshall City Police Officers).
- Marshall Hall
- Scarborough Hall
- Ornelas Spiritual Life Center
- Ornelas Student Center
- Dean Healthplex
- Keys Gym
- Craig Hall
- Harvey Daniel Bruce
- Murphy Science Center
- Bennett Student Center
- Redwine Instrumental Music Building
- Jenna Guest Music Building
- Fred Hale Business Building
- Mamye Jarrett Library
- Meadows Hall
- Centennial Hall
- Feagin Hall
- Fry Hall
- Linebery Hall
- Mabee Housing Complex
- Ornelas Residence Center
- University Apartments
- Van Zandt Apartments & Campus Houses
Departments at ETBU
There are several academic departments at ETBU:
- School of Business
- School of Christian Studies
- Department of Religion
- School of Education
- Department of Teacher Education
- Department of Kinesiology and Exercise Science
- Athletic Training Education Program
- School of Humanities
- Department of Communication
- Department of History, Political Science, and Geography
- Department of Languages and Literature
- Department of Criminal Justice
- School of Fine Arts
- Art Program
- Department of Music
- Department of Theatre Arts
- School of Natural and Social Sciences
- Allied Health Program
- Department of Behavioral Sciences
- Department of Biology
- Department of Chemistry and Physics
- Department of Mathematics
- School of Nursing
- Department of Nursing
The mascot for ETBU is a tiger, "Toby." ETBU also has a live Tiger mascot named "Sarge" who is housed off campus.
- Rick Edmonds, Southern Baptist pastor and since 2016 the District 66 member of the Louisiana House of Representatives in East Baton Rouge Parish.
- Chris Elrod, Christian comedian and writer[full citation needed]
- Sam B. Hall, member of the United States House of Representatives (1976–85) and United States District Judge (1985-94).[full citation needed]
- David S. Ritsema, Senior Pastor of First Baptist Church Waxahachie (2012-present) and Resident Fellow at B. H. Carroll Theological Institute (2010-present).
Notes and references
- 8984-3 HTop-r6
- "HilltopNews_sept_2004.pdf" (PDF). Hilltop News. Retrieved 2008-03-15.
Since its founding in 1912
- "USNews.com: America's Best Colleges 2008: East Texas Baptist University: At a glance". USNews.com. 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-24.
- "East Texas Baptist University - Administrative Offices". East Texas Baptist University. 2014. Retrieved 2008-08-08.
- "Head counts by term (Fact Book 2007)" (PDF). etbu.edu/IPAR/Fact+Books/Fact+Book+2007.htm. Retrieved 2008-03-15.
- "College Search - East Texas Baptist University- About ETBU - At a Glance". College Board. 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-10.
- "East Texas Baptist University- About ETBU". ETBU. 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-12.
- Songe, Alice. American Universities and Colleges: A Dictionary of Name Changes." Scarecrow Press (Metuchen, NJ: 1978), p. 60.
- "Results". Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. 2005. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- "Member Lists" (PDF). Texas Board of Nursing. 2003. Retrieved 2009-02-12.
- CCNE Accredited Nursing Degree Programs
- "Member Lists". National Association of Schools of Music. 2003. Retrieved 2008-01-24.
- "Safety & Security". ETBU. 2007. Retrieved 2009-02-12.
- "Murphy Science Center". ETBU. 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-31.[dead link]
- "Facilities". ETBU. 2008. Archived from the original on December 7, 2008. Retrieved 2009-02-12.
- "Rep. Rick Edmonds (R-LA 66th District)". cigarrights.capwiz.com. Retrieved March 29, 2016.
- "HALL, Sam Blakeley, Jr. - Biographical Information".