East Timor at the 2014 Winter Olympics
|East Timor at the|
2014 Winter Olympics
|NOC||National Olympic Committee of East Timor|
|in Sochi, Russia|
7–23 February 2018
|Competitors||1 in 1 sport|
|Flag bearer||Yohan Goutt Goncalves (opening and closing)|
|Winter Olympics appearances (overview)|
East Timor, also known as Timor-Leste and officially as the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste, competed at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia from 7 to 23 February 2014. The country made its debut at the Winter Olympics.
According to the final quota allocation released on January 20, 2014, East Timor had one athlete in qualification position. Goutt Goncalves is the son of a French father and his mother is from East Timor, allowing him to compete for the country. On December 29 in a race in Serbia Goutt Goncalves managed to lower his point total to below 140 and officially qualify for the games. By qualifying for the event, he also became the first athlete from his country (at any Olympiad) who has not received a wildcard to compete, but has qualified by meeting the qualification standard. Goutt Goncalves spent $75,000 to allow him to qualify and compete at the Games.
|Athlete||Event||Run 1||Run 2||Total|
|Yohan Goutt Goncalves||Men's slalom||1:09.01||77||1:21.88||43||2:30.89||43|
- Moores, Grace (30 January 2014). "Tiny Pacific nation to make Winter Olympic debut". www.thrivesports.com. Archived from the original on 21 February 2014. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "Sochi 2014 Opening Ceremony - Flagbearers" (PDF). www.olympic.org. Sochi 2014 Olympic and Paralympic Organizing Committee. 7 February 2014. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Sochi 2014 Closing Ceremony - Flagbearers" (PDF). The International Olympic Committee (IOC). February 23, 2014. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- Trouillard, Stéphanie (5 January 2014). "The skier taking East Timor to the Winter Olympics". France 24. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- Jones, Ruby (7 January 2014). "Even cooler runnings as skier from tropical East Timor qualifies for Winter Olympics". ABC Online. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- "Summary of Quota allocation as per 20.1.2014" (PDF). www.fis-ski.com. FIS. 20 January 2014. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Passa, Dennis (29 November 2013). "One man's journey from tropical East Timor to the Winter Olympics". The Courier-Mail. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- Waters, Luke (26 August 2013). "East Timor skier eyes winter Olympics". Special Broadcasting Service. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- Lemon, Geoff (21 February 2014). "Sochi 2014: Timor Leste's lone skier offers a breath of fresh Olympic air". The Guardian. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- Fendrich, Howard (18 February 2014). "East Timor's 1st Winter Olympian gets set to ski". Washington Post. Krasnaya Polyana, Sochi, Russia. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to East Timor at the 2014 Winter Olympics.|
- Timor-Leste at the 2014 Winter Olympics (Sochi2014.com) at the Wayback Machine (archived 2014-02-25)
- Timor Leste at the 2014 Winter Olympics at SR/Olympics (archive)