East West University
|Motto||"Excellence in Education"|
|Chancellor||President Abdul Hamid|
|President||Dr. Mohammed Farashuddin|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. M. M. Shahidul Hassan|
Full Time: 210
|Students||10,400  (2013)|
|Affiliations||University Grants Commission|
The university is accredited by the government of Bangladesh, and its curricula and programs have been approved by the University Grants Commission. As stipulated by the Private University Act, 1992, under which the university was established, the President of Bangladesh is the chancellor of the university and appoints the vice chancellor and treasurer.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Facilities and Services
- 4 Financial Support
- 5 Research
- 6 Ranking
- 7 Student Clubs
- 8 Convocation
- 9 Notes and References
- 10 External links
The culture of private universities in Bangladesh started in the early 1990s. During that period, the government felt that the existing public universities were not sufficient to meet the demand for tertiary education in the country. Moreover, to maintain their quality of education, most of the public universities in Bangladesh kept themselves selective and as a result each year a large number of students failed to get admitted into higher educational institutions.
These issues led the government to permit the establishment of private universities, and on 9 August 1992, the Private University Act (Act 34) 1992 was passed.
East West University was established in 1996 as a non-profit organization. The university is the first major project of the Progoti Foundation for Education and Development (PFED), a non-profit, non-political, charitable organization maintained by a group of academics, business leaders, professionals and education enthusiasts led by Dr. Mohammed Farashuddin, economist and former governor of Bangladesh Bank.
BBA, BSc in Computer Science and BA in English at the previous campus at 45, Mohakhali Commercial Area, Dhaka. The university has some 10,400 students, in its Aftab Nagar Campus, Dhaka.
In May 2012 the university shifted to new permanent campus. The permanent campus of East West University is located in Aftabnagar, Rampura on the Progoti Sarani close to Bangladesh Television on 7.4 bighas of land. Total floor area of the 9 storied university complex is 4,58,957.04 square feet with modern facilities.
East West University has also bought 5.95 acres of land at Mouja: Vadham, P.S Tongi, District: Gazipur. In addition, it has received an allotment of one bigha of land at Uttara from RAJUK.
East West University has three academic faculties. Each faculty has departments. A Dean is the head of each faculty, while departments are headed by Chairpersons. The Department of Business Administration is the largest and one of the oldest departments of the university. The Department of Computer Science and the Department of English are the two other founding departments.
|*Faculty of Sciences and Engineering||*Faculty of Business and Economics||*Faculty of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences|
East West University is modeled on the North American Open Credit system. It maintains tri-semester (term) year with the exception of the Department of Pharmacy which maintains a bi-semester year. East West University semesters are as follow:
- Spring: January - April (starting on the second Sunday of January)
- Summer: May - August (starting on the second Sunday of May)
- Fall: September - December (starting on the second Sunday of September)
Degrees and Awards
EWU offers Bachelor of Arts (BA) for English graduate, Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) for Business graduate and Bachelor of Social Science (BSS) for Economics graduate. There are degrees in Business and Economics together in the form of double major. The university offers Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) for Engineering (e.g. Computer Science) for Science graduate, Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Phrm) for Pharmacy graduate, Bachelor of Science in Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology and Bachelor of Science in Applied Statistics.
The B.Sc. in EEE program has been granted accreditation from the Board of Accreditation for Engineering & Technical Education (BAETE). At the post-graduate level EWU offers Master of Business Administration (MBA) for business, Master of Arts (MA) for humanities and Master of Science (MS) for Science and Engineering, Master of Pharmacy (M.Phrm) for Pharmacy. EWU's B.Phrm and M.Phrm programs are accredited by the Pharmacy Council of Bangladesh.
EWU graduates are evaluated on Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) on a scale of 0 to 4 points. In addition, the university classifies students into three classes based on their earned CGPA. These are as follow:
- First Class - CGPA 3.00 and above
- Second Class - CGPA 2.50 to 2.99
- Third Class - CGPA 2.00 to 2.49
The university provides the following awards to its outstanding students.
- Gold medal : The Chancellor of the university awards a gold medal to each of the students having a CGPA of 3.97 or above on the day of convocation.
- Summa Cum Laude: Each undergraduate student with a CGPA of 3.90 or above is awarded Summa Cum Laude by the university and declared by the convocation marshall on the convocation day.
- Magna Cum Laude: Each undergraduate student with a CGPA of 3.75 or above is awarded Magna Cum Laude by the university and declared by the convocation marshall on the convocation day.
Facilities and Services
East West University has a library covering about 11000 sq ft. in the new campus with maps and journal area, and has a photocopy corner, database search corner, and newspaper display section. Each day around 2,200 users visit the library. The library contains 22,000 books, a subscription to 135 international and national journals (hardcopy), 3,300 online journals on its database, subscription to 16 national daily newspapers and around 1,500 CD-ROMs and audio cassettes.
There are laboratories for engineering and science disciplines, and seven computer laboratories with a local network of 533 PCs and personal VSAT services. Universities laboratories are shared as follow:
- Computer Communications Laboratories, shared by all departments,
- Digital Systems Laboratory, shared by the engineering departments,
- Electronics Laboratory, shared by the engineering departments,.
- Electrical Circuits and Machine Laboratory, used by the EEE department,
- Network Laboratory, shared by department of CSE and APCE,
- Pharmacy Laboratory, used by department of Pharmacy,
- Physics Laboratory, used by all the science and engineering departments,
- Telecommunication Laboratory, used by the APCE department,
- VLSI Laboratory, shared by CSE and EEE departments,
- Software Engineering Laboratory, shared by only CSE and departments.
East West University provides scholarships starting from full funding to partial tuition waivers. Each semester the top 10% students of each batch having a CGPA of 3.97 or above are awarded EWU Merit Scholarships which are worth 90,000 BDT at the undergraduate level and 75,000 BDT at the postgraduate level. All other students from the Dean's List are also eligible to receive Medha Lalon Fund Scholarship ranging from 500,000 BDT to 25,000 BDT. Besides, there are 28 directorial scholarships (25,000-20,000 BDT) are available each year for the meritorious students with exceptional case.
Each semester the university provides financial aid. Students facing financial difficulties (with a CGPA of 3.7 and above, those students who complete at least 30 credits last three semester) can apply once a year for support. It varies from 18,000 BDT to 35,000 BDT. EWU provides 50% tuition waiver for any one of a sibling pair studying simultaneously in the university which is worth around 45,000 BDT per year. It maintains a low tuition fees rate (BDT 4,600 per credit) compared to other leading private universities in Bangladesh.
East West University has a resource Center for Research and Training (EWUCRT). The center creates knowledge through academic and applied research and disseminate knowledge through training and publication. CRT operates through a Research Committee composed of representatives from the Board, Deans and Chairs of the Academic Department. Link of EWUCRT publication is http://www.ewubd.edu/ewu/showDocument.php?documentid=1118.
CRT publishes the EWU Journal, a bi-annual publication of research papers. CRT publishes working papers, occasional papers and Annual Research Abstracts. Faculty members and senior students of the university produce academic papers each year and publish them in journals and conference proceedings.
In addition, CRT works with the government and private institutions at national and international levels to facilitate academic exchanges.
In 2002 EWU organized International Conference on Computer and Information Technology which is a series of Computer Science ofand Information Technology based conference hosted in Bangladesh since 1997 by a university each year. EWU is a member of Trade Knowledge Network, a collaboration of research institutions in developed and developing countries located in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas and also active in the South Asian Network for Development and Environmental Economists (SANDEE).
Dr A.K. Enamul Haque, Professor of Economics was the first Executive Director of this centre. He was a member of the Management and Advisory Committee of SANDEE. He is currently an Academic Advisor to SANDEE researchers. In 2006, EWU faculty members had 39 appearances in international journals and conferences. Besides these, the university provides financial support through a faculty research program to promote research culture in the campus.
In 2013, and 2007, Webometrics ranked EWU third among all universities of Bangladesh (first among private universities in Bangladesh) and 64th in the Indian subcontinent in their World Universities Ranking based on web visibility of electronic publication, scientific results and international activities. According to IDEAS ranking of Economic Research Institutions in Bangladesh, the Department of Economics of East West University ranked 2nd in Bangladesh in 2014 (Next to the Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies). Star researcher from East West University is Dr. Syed Abul Basher who has topped the list of young Economists from Bangladesh. IDEAS database contains information on 13,177 economics institutions, 43,324 authors with over 1,046,994 research publications in 94 fields.
|Ranking of Bangladeshi universities |
Students take part in competitions and exhibitions, from cultural and debating activities to intellectual programming and software developing.
East West University Business Club (EWUBC)
East West University Business Club is the first club of the university with the goal to promote leadership and entrepreneurship of ingenious students. The Club works with the all phases of business to demonstrate and practice the professional, leadership as well as management skills of the students under the proficient supervision of impeccably competent moderators.
To introduce the students to practical job life, to enhance their knowledge, EWUBC arranges different program in every semester including business related workshops,seminars & Competitions.
Debating Club (EWUDC)
The EWU Debating Club participates in World Universities Debating Championship and United Asian Debating Championships and maintains 146th world rank according to World Debate website. EWU Debating Club won the championship title in the 18th Prime Bank - NDDC National Debate Championship 2006 (Inter University - Bangla) and became runner-up in the same event's English debate. In 2007 they became runners up in the first UU Inter University Debating Championship (Bengali IV).
EWU Computer Programming Club (EWUCoPC)
In 2008, a team from the university, named Dreams of Twilight, qualified for the ACM ICPC (International Collegiate Programming Contest) World Finals that was hosted by University of Alberta, Canada. 100 universities from all over the world qualified for the event. A total of 9000 teams competed for the ticket to the final event.
EWU Programming club became fourth in ACM ICPC held at Coimbatore, India and 12th at Kanpur, India in 2006. Other clubs are also taking part in national-level events.
- Agro-Industrialization Club
- Alpha-Beta Statistics Club
- Business Club (EWUBC)
- Club for Performing Arts (ECPA)
- Computer Programming Club (EWUCoPC)
- Creative Marketing Club (CMC)
- Debating Club (EWUDC)
- Economics Club
- Electronics Club(EWUEC)
- English Conversation Club
- Environmental and Social Club
- Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology Club
- IEEE Student Branch
- Pharmacy Club
- Photography Club (EWUPC)
- Rotaract Club (RCEWU)
- Science Club (EWUSC)
- Sports Club
- Telecommunication club (EWUTC)
- EWU law club
East West University holds a convocation every year in Dhaka. The first was held in Osmani Memorial Hall. After that, through 2011, the ceremony was held at the Bangabandhu International Conference Center, except in 2006, when it took place in the Winter Garden convention hall at the Dhaka Sheraton Hotel. From 2012, it moved to the university's new campus in Aftab Nagar. In accordance with the Private University Act, the President of Bangladesh, as chancellor, or his nominee presides at convocation. Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid presided in 2009, 2013, and 2014. Minister for Agriculture Matia Chowdhury presided in 2012.
The 1st convocation was in 2002. Earl H. Potter III, Dean of the College of Business, Eastern Michigan University, delivered the convocation speech. Degrees were conferred on 85 undergraduate and 11 graduate students.
The 7th convocation was held on 3 March 2008. Former Chief Justice Muhammad Habibur Rahman delivered the convocation speech. Degrees were bestowed on 604 undergraduate and 275 graduate students. Two students were awarded gold medals for outstanding academic performance.
The 8th convocation was held on 7 April 2009. Distinguished professor of Bengali literature Anisuzzaman delivered the convocation speech. Degrees were bestowed on 671 undergraduate and 252 graduate students. Seven students received gold medals.
The 9th convocation took place on 25 April 2010. Professor Emeritus of English Serajul Islam Choudhury delivered the convocation address. Degrees were conferred on 956 students. Six students were awarded gold medals.
The 10th convocation took place on 6 March 2011. Vice Chancellor of University of Dhaka AAMS Arefin Siddique delivered the convocation speech. Degrees were bestowed on 712 undergraduate and 361 graduate students.
The 11th convocation was held on 7 March 2012. Abdullah Abu Sayeed, President of Bishwa Sahitya Kendra (World Literature Center), delivered the convocation speech. Degrees were bestowed on 643 undergraduate and 475 graduate students.
The 12th convocation was held on 27 February 2013. Sufia Ahmed, Ekushey Padak awardee for contributions to flourishing culture and the Language Movement, delivered the convocation speech. Degrees were bestowed on 1,279 students. Three students received gold medals.
The 13th convocation was held on 24 February 2014. Novelist Selina Hossain, recipient of the Ekushey Padak for literature, delivered the convocation speech. Degrees were conferred on 1,341 students. Four students were awarded gold medals.
The 14th convocation took place on 19 March 2015. Civil rights activist Sultana Kamal delivered the convocation address. Degrees were conferred on 1,455 students. Two students were awarded gold medals.
Notes and References
- Office of East West University. (2014). "East West University at a Glance". East West University Convocation Book. ("13th Convocation EWU profile")
- "Private University Act, 1992". Retrieved 16 March 2008.
- "Accreditation & Collaboration". East West University. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- EWU Undergraduate Prospectus 2002-2003, pp-16
- "EWU Web - Undergraduate Programs". Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- Collaboration list
- "International Students". Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- EWU Undergraduate Prospectus 2002-2003, pp-15
- EWU Convocation Brochure 2007, pp-17
- EWU Newsletter, Vol. VI, ISSUE III, Fall 2006, pp-8
- University Profile, EWU Convocation Brochure 2007, pp-113
- List of Laboratories, EWU Convocation Brochure 2007, pp-113,114
- History of ICCIT
- EWU's profile as a member at TKN site
- "About TKN". Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Sandee". Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- http://www.sandeeonline.org\Home\Sponsors and Management Committee\Management Committee
- Publications (abstract only) made by EWU faculty in 2006
- Research at EWU
- Cybermetrics Lab (2007). "Regional and Global Ranking of Indian subcontinent universities". CINDOC-CSIC, Madrid, Spain.
- Bss, Dhaka. "EWU ranked first among private universities", The Daily Star Report, 7 October 2007.
- "Welcome to Ranking Web of Universities - Ranking Web of Universities". Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Within Country and State Rankings at IDEAS: Bangladesh". Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "IDEAS: Economics and Finance Research". Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Webometrics University Ranking". Webometrics. Retrieved July 2013. Check date values in:
- "career news 24 University Ranking". careernews24. Retrieved July 2013. Check date values in:
- "EWU Web - News". www.ewubd.edu. Retrieved 2016-02-24.
- "EWU Web | Bussiness Club Home". www.ewubd.edu. Retrieved 2016-02-24.
- ""Grades are not enough anymore": Competition 101 | Dainik Shiksha". Daily Education. Retrieved 2016-02-24.
- East West University Debating Club has won the Runner-up trophy in a national level Inter University English debate tournament AIUB Ecobate-2013. The tournament was organized by AIUB Oratory Club. Among the 18 teams participated in the competition, the final debate was between East West University and BRAC University. On the way to the final, team EWU defeated teams from DU, NSU and BUET. Ranking by World Debate Website
- "Bangladesh Debating Council". Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- News from EWU Site
- "Sparkle of Arguments: 1st UU Inter University Debating Championship 2007", The Daily Star, September 30, 2007
- Dhaka site local teams in the world final
- "Convocation 2002" (PDF). East West University. 2002.
- "Convocation 2003" (PDF). East West University. 2003.
- "Convocation 2004" (PDF). East West University. 2004.
- "Convocation 2005" (PDF). East West University. 2005.
- "Convocation 2006" (PDF). East West University. 2006.
- "Convocation 2007" (PDF). East West University. 2007.
- "7th Convocation of East West University". East West University. 16 April 2008.
- "East West University's 8th Convocation Held". East West University. 12 April 2009.
- "9th Convocation of East West University". East West University. 27 April 2010.
- "EWU holds 10th Convocation amid great festivity". East West University. 15 March 2011.
- "East West University holds its 11th Convocation at the Permanent Campus". East West University. 8 March 2012.
- "12th Convocation of East West University". East West University. 28 February 2013.
- "East West University holds 13th Convocation". East West University. 9 March 2014.
- "Ensuring quality higher education still a challenge: president". New Age. Dhaka. United News of Bangladesh. 20 March 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to East West University (Dhaka, Bangladesh).|