East Yorkshire (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of East Yorkshire in Humberside
Location of Humberside within England
|County||East Riding of Yorkshire|
|Electorate||80,435 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Bridlington, Driffield, Pocklington and|
|Member of Parliament||Greg Knight (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||Yorkshire and the Humber|
1997–2010: The Borough of East Yorkshire.
2010–present: The District of East Riding of Yorkshire wards of Bridlington Central and Old Town, Bridlington North, Bridlington South, Driffield and Rural, East Wolds and Coastal, Pocklington Provincial, and Wolds Weighton.
This seat was created in 1997 and replaced Bridlington. The Conservative MP for that seat since 1979, John Townend, won the new seat, and held it until he retired in 2001. His successor, the current incumbent Greg Knight, had previously represented the marginal seat of Derby North from 1983 until he was defeated in the 1997 Labour landslide election. To date it has been a Conservative safe seat and ranks 170th in terms of their share of the vote of their 631 candidates, with in 2010 an approximately equally divided opposition.
Members of Parliament
|2001||Sir Greg Knight||Conservative|
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||Carl Minns||2,134||4.0||−2.0|
|Yorkshire Party||Timothy Norman||1,015||1.9||+0.5|
|Liberal Democrat||Robert Adamson||2,966||5.9||-15.2|
|Yorkshire Party||Stewart Arnold||720||1.4||+1.4|
|Liberal Democrat||Robert Adamson||10,842||21.2||+2.2|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Jim Wastling||9,075||19.3||+4.8|
|Liberal Democrat||Mary-Rose Hardy||6,300||14.5||−4.0|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||David Leadley||9,070||18.5||N/A|
|National Democrats||Mike Cooper||381||0.8||N/A|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures – Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Electoral Commission | Previous UK general elections". electoralcommission.org.uk. Retrieved 21 December 2016.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "Y"
- "General Election 2017". Gazette & Herald. 11 May 2017.
- "Yorkshire East parliamentary constituency". Election 2017. BBC. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "2017 Election Results". Yorkshire Coast Radio. 9 June 2017. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Yorkshire East". BBC News. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "UK > England > Yorkshire & the Humber > Yorkshire East". Election 2010. BBC. 7 May 2010. Retrieved 10 May 2010.