East Yorkshire (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of East Yorkshire in Humberside.
Location of Humberside within England.
|County||East Riding of Yorkshire|
|Electorate||80,435 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Bridlington, Driffield, Pocklington and
|Member of parliament||Greg Knight (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||Yorkshire and the Humber|
1997-2010: The Borough of East Yorkshire.
2010–present: The District of East Riding of Yorkshire wards of Bridlington Central and Old Town, Bridlington North, Bridlington South, Driffield and Rural, East Wolds and Coastal, Pocklington Provincial, and Wolds Weighton.
East Yorkshire constituency covers the northern part of the East Riding of Yorkshire unitary authority from Pocklington and Market Weighton through Driffield to Bridlington and corresponds to the former East Yorkshire district.
This seat was created in 1997 and replaced Bridlington. The Conservative MP for that seat since 1979, John Townend, won the new seat, and held it until he retired in 2001. His successor, the current incumbent Greg Knight, had previously represented the marginal seat of Derby North from 1983 until he was defeated in the 1997 Labour landslide election. To date it has been a Conservative safe seat and ranks 170th in terms of their share of the vote of their 631 candidates, with in 2010 an approximately equally divided opposition.
Members of Parliament
|2001||Sir Greg Knight||Conservative|
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||Robert Adamson||2,966||5.9||-15.2|
|Yorkshire First||Stewart Arnold||720||1.4||+1.4|
|Liberal Democrat||Robert Adamson||10,842||21.2||+2.2|
|Social Democratic||Ray Allerston||914||1.8||N/A|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Jim Wastling||9,075||19.3||+4.8|
|Liberal Democrat||Mary-Rose Hardy||6,300||14.5||−4.0|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||David Leadley||9,070||18.5||N/A|
|Social Democratic||Trevor Pearson||1,049||2.1||N/A|
|National Democrats||Mike Cooper||381||0.8||N/A|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures – Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- General Election Results from the Electoral Commission
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "Y" [self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Yorkshire East". BBC News. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "UK > England > Yorkshire & the Humber > Yorkshire East". Election 2010. BBC. 7 May 2010. Retrieved 10 May 2010.