|• Total||37.65 sq mi (97.51 km2)|
|• Land||33.35 sq mi (86.38 km2)|
|• Water||4.30 sq mi (11.14 km2)|
|Elevation||217 ft (66 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||423|
|• Density||12.7/sq mi (4.9/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0582452|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 37.65 square miles (97.51 km2), of which 33.35 square miles (86.38 km2) is land and 4.30 square miles (11.14 km2) is water.
The Municipality's territory encompasses several lakes (also termed 'ponds'), wetlands, marshes/bogs, nature preserve, blueberry barrens, and woodland, which include but are not limited to:
- Scammons Pond: an inter-locking chain of bodies-of-water
- Molasses Pond: one of the larger lakes in the Town that is shared between Eastbrook and Franklin, Maine and surrounding Townships
- Molasses Pond Bog: wetland/marshland adjacent to Molasses Pond; part of the Stone Dam Watershed.
- Webb Pond
- Abram's Pond
- Macomber Mill Marshes: wetlands along an indented area of the Neck Ridge area, partially between Scammons Pond & Molasses, feeding in to both along with nearby George's Pond (Franklin, ME)
- Stone Dam: series of interlocking pools and rivulets feeding nearby bodies of water.
The area is also populated by a series of hills and hollows, as part of the inland Schoodic Foothills and Outback region of Hancock County, Maine. In the late 2000s developers sought permission to construct various renewable energy projects in land within or adjacent to the Town, such as the Bull Hill Wind Power Site.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 423 people, 186 households, and 120 families residing in the town. The population density was 12.7 inhabitants per square mile (4.9/km2). There were 504 housing units at an average density of 15.1 per square mile (5.8/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 97.6% White, 0.2% African American, 0.7% Native American, and 1.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.7% of the population.
There were 186 households of which 26.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.1% were married couples living together, 7.0% had a female householder with no husband present, 6.5% had a male householder with no wife present, and 35.5% were non-families. 28.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.27 and the average family size was 2.74.
The median age in the town was 46.8 years. 19.9% of residents were under the age of 18; 6% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 22% were from 25 to 44; 39% were from 45 to 64; and 13% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the town was 50.4% male and 49.6% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 370 people, 156 households, and 105 families residing in the town. The population density was 11.1 people per square mile (4.3/km²). There were 426 housing units at an average density of 12.8 per square mile (4.9/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 99.19% White, 0.27% Native American, 0.54% from other races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.62% of the population.
There were 156 households out of which 32.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.2% were married couples living together, 12.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.1% were non-families. 24.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.37 and the average family size was 2.84.
In the town, the population was spread out with 25.7% under the age of 18, 5.1% from 18 to 24, 34.1% from 25 to 44, 26.5% from 45 to 64, and 8.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 94.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.0 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $31,667, and the median income for a family was $37,813. Males had a median income of $25,000 versus $20,096 for females. The per capita income for the town was $13,988. About 9.5% of families and 15.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 29.7% of those under age 18 and 2.7% of those age 65 or over.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-06-17. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.