Eastern Metropolitan Bypass
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Eastern Metropolitan Bypass (E.M. Bypass, EM Bypass) is a 29 kilometres (18 mi) major road on the east side of Kolkata. It connects Ultadanga in Bidhannagar (Salt Lake) (northeast Kolkata) to Kamalgazi in Rajpur Sonarpur (South Kolkata). The road is a major link to Salt Lake and Rajarhat. A lot of high-end construction and development in Kolkata has been centred around the Bypass.
It was designed as a 6 to 8 lane bypass to lessen the traffic congestion on the entire stretch of Gariahat Road. Several consequent connections have been made to Garihat Road to further move traffic to the Bypass.
History and development
Connectors and overpasses
This section needs additional citations for verification. (May 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A number of 'connectors' or connecting roads link the bypass to major hubs of the city all along its route. From north to south, these are:
|Junction type||Area||Connected locations||Notes|
|Junction||Beleghata||Sealdah railway station|
|Junction||Park Circus||Park Circus , J B S Haldane Avenue , Science City - goes towards Howrah|
|Flyover||Parama Island Flyover||Park Circus|
|Junction||Rash Behari||Kalighat, Deshapriya Park, Gariahat, Kasba, Chetla, Alipur & Keoratala Burning Ghat|
|Junction||Prince Anwar Shah||Dhakuria, Jodhpur Park, Selimpur, Lake Gardens|
|Junction||Ajaynagar-Santoshpur Avenue||Santoshpur and Jadavpur Via Santoshpur Jora Bridge crossing|
|Junction||Garia||Baishnabghata, Patuli, Garia|
|Junction||Garia Station Road||Garia Rail station, Shitala Mandir Bus Stand of Garia|
|Junction||Kamalgazi||Sonarpur Station, Sonarpur Station Road|
|Junction||Kalikapur-Santoshpur Avenue||Santoshpur and Jadavpur Via Santoshpur Jora Bridge crossing|
|Junction||Purbalok||Santoshpur and Jadavpur Via Santoshpur Jora Bridge crossing|
|Flyover||Chingrighata||Salt Lake, Sector V and Rajarhat|
|Flyover||Ultadanga||airport from south through VIP Road|
- Chaudhuri, Sumita (2015). Facets of Urbanisation: Views from Anthropology. p. 141. ISBN 9781443878869.
- Bose, Pablo Shiladitya (2014). Urban Development in India: Global Indians in the Remaking of Kolkata. Routledge. p. 97. ISBN 9781138319035.
- Chanda, Ipshita (2017). Selfing the City: Single Women Migrants and Their Lives in Kolkata. SAGE Publishing India. p. Appendix 2. ISBN 9789381345245.
- Bunting, Stuart; Kundu, Nitai; Mukherjee, Madhumita (2005). Urban aquaculture: Chapter 5. Wallingford, Oxfordshire, UK: CAB International. p. 62. ISBN 9781845930936.
- Nitai, Kundu; Pal, Mausumi; Saha, Sharmistha (2008). "East Kolkata Wetlands: A Resource Recovery System Through Productive Activities" (PDF). Proceedings of Taal2007: The 12th World Lake Conference: 868–881. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- Allen, Adriana; Lampis, Andrea; Swilling, Mark (2015). Untamed Urbanisms. Routledge. p. 41. ISBN 9781317599104.
- Banerjee, Rabi (8 March 2018). "Antidote to statue vandalism: When Jyoti Basu resisted attempt to erect his statue". The Week. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eastern Metropolitan Bypass.|