Eastern Naval Command
|Eastern Naval Command|
INS Jalashwa (L41), flagship of the Eastern Fleet
|Headquarters||Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh|
|FOC-in-C||Vice Admiral Karambir Singh, PVSM, AVSM|
|Chief of Staff||Vice Admiral S.N. Ghormade, AVSM, NM|
|FOC Eastern Fleet||Rear Admiral Suraj Berry,NM, VSM |
The Eastern Naval Command of the Indian Navy is one of its three major formations. It utilizes Visakhapatnam as its headquarters, and has bases there and at Kolkata. It is the first and largest naval command in India.
Area of responsibility
Under the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Naval Command (FOC-in-C East) is the Flag Officer Commanding, Eastern Fleet (FOCEF), Commodore Commanding Submarines (East) (COMCOS (E)), Admiral Superintendent Dockyard for Visakhapatnam, shore establishments, and five Naval Officers-in-Charge (NOICs).
The FOC-in-C (East) is the submarine operating authority, under whom Commodore Commanding Submarines (East) [COMCOS (E)] operate. The 11th (Sindhughosh class submarine) and 8th (Foxtrot class) Submarine Squadrons operate under COMCOS (E). INS Virbahu, a submarine base commissioned on 19 May 1971, is the alma mater of the Indian Navy submariners.
The Eastern Naval Command is organized as follows:
|Flag Officer Commanding in Chief||Vice Admiral Karambir Singh PVSM AVSM|||
|Chief of Staff||Vice Admiral SN Ghormade AVSM NM|||
|Flag Officer Commanding Eastern Fleet||Rear Admiral Suraj Berry, VSM, NM|||
|Admiral Superintendent Dockyard (ASD) - Visakhapatnam||Rear Admiral Amit Bose VSM|||
|Commodore Commanding Submarines (COMCOS) - East|
|Naval Officer In-Charge (NOIC) - Andhra Pradesh||Commodore K A Bopanna|||
|Naval Officer In-Charge (NOIC) - Tamil Nadu||Commodore Alok Bhatnagar|||
|Naval Officer In-Charge (NOIC) - Orissa|
|Naval Officer In-Charge (NOIC) - West Bengal||Commodore Suprobho K De|||
The headquarters at Visakhapatnam is also a strategically important dockyard for two nuclear-powered submarines. Due to congestion and heavy shipping traffic, a new 20 square km base INS Varsha is being developed for exclusive naval use about 50 km south of Visakhapatnam.
The Eastern Navy fleet is distributed among its bases at Kolkata, Paradip, Tuticorin, Kakinada and Chennai on the east coast, and in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The Navy has opened its latest naval air base, INS Baaz, at the southernmost tip of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands to secure the strategically important Straits of Malacca, and another naval air station in Kolkata to base an unmanned aerial vehicle squadron.
|INS Circars||Visakhapatnam||Andhra Pradesh||Logistics and Administrative support|
|INS Dega||Naval Air Station|
|INS Virbahu||Submarine base|
|INHS Kalyani||Naval Hospital|
|INS Kalinga||Naval Missile Depot|
|INS Eksila||Marine gas turbine maintenance|
|INS Karna||MARCOS Base|
|INS Varsha (Under Construction)||Future submarine base for the ENC|
|INS Adyar||Chennai||Tamil Nadu||Logistics and Maintenance support|
|INS Parundu||Uchipuli||Naval Air Station|
|INS Rajali||Arakkonam||Naval Air Station|
|INS Kattabomman||Tirunelveli||Submarine VLF facility|
|INS Tuticorin||Tuticorin||Logistics support|
|INS Netaji Subhash||Kolkata||West Bengal||Logistics and Administrative support|
|INS Paradip (Under Construction)||Paradip||Odisha||Forward Operating Base|
|INS Bhubaneswar (Under Construction)||Bhubaneswar||Naval Air Enclave|
In 2005, Eastern Naval Command was home to 30 warships. INS Jalashwa is the flagship of Eastern Fleet and provides amphibious capabilities to the Indian Navy in the Bay of Bengal. Eastern Fleet is equipped with submarine pens and maintenance dockyards. The Amphibious Task Group of Eastern Naval Fleet has INS Jalashwa (LPD). It also includes five Rajput-class destroyers, four Kora-class corvettes, three Godavari-class frigates, three Shivalik-class frigates, Sindhughosh-class submarines and the Akula-class submarine INS Chakra. Naval aviation is provided by Westland Sea King helicopters. Apart from these, a number of smaller vessels such as fast attack craft made the total fleet strength of the command 52 vessels in 2012.
Until 1997, INS Vikrant was the flagship of Eastern Fleet. After her de-commissioning in 1997, the Eastern Fleet has been without an aircraft carrier. Once the newly acquired INS Vikramaditya is declared fully operational, the Navy will re-deploy the veteran INS Viraat to the eastern seaboard to form a new carrier group.
List of Commanders
|Name||Rank||Appointment Date||Left Office||References|
|Jayant Ganpat Nadkarni||Admiral||1986||30 November 1987|
|Laxminarayan Ramdas||1989||30 November 1990|||
|Vinod Pasricha||Vice Admiral||1999||2003|
|O P Bansal||1 October 2003||30 September 2005|||
|Sureesh Mehta||Admiral||1 October 2005||31 October 2006|||
|A K Singh||Vice Admiral||1 November 2006||31 March 2007|
|Raman Prem Suthan||1 April 2007||30 March 2008|||
|Nirmal Kumar Verma||Admiral||1 April 2008||31 August 2009|||
|Anup Singh||Vice Admiral||1 September 2009||30 October 2009|||
|Anil Chopra||1 November 2011||2014|||
|Satish Soni||16 June 2014||29 February 2016|||
|Harish Bisht||1 March 2016||30 October 2017|||
|Karambir Singh||31 October 2017||Incumbent|||
- @indiannavy (14 January 2018). "Rear Admiral Dinesh Kumar Tripathi YSM VSM takes over as Flag Officer Commanding Eastern Fleet. A Commn & EW specialist, he is an alumnus of NDA & DSSC. He has also completed the Naval Higher Command Course & Naval Command College at US Naval War College Newport" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Organisation of the Eastern Naval Command". Indian Navy. Archived from the original on 10 February 2013. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "The might of the Indian Navy: ENC - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- "Indian Navy ENC Authorities & Units". Indian Navy. Archived from the original on 22 August 2013. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "Organisation | Indian Navy". indiannavy.nic.in. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- "Flag Officer Commanding in Chief, Eastern Naval Command | Indian Navy". www.indiannavy.nic.in. Retrieved 30 June 2018.
- "Vice Admiral SN Ghormade, AVSM, NM takes over as Chief of Staff, Eastern Naval Command". Press Information Bureau. Retrieved 5 March 2019.
- SpokespersonNavy (12 January 2018). "Rear Admiral Amit Bose VSM takes over as Admiral Superintendent, Naval Dockyard, Visakhapatnam. An Electrical engineer with a Masters in Computer Science, the flag officer has held various key Operational, Staff & Dockyard appts. @SpokespersonMoDpic.twitter.com/XVjYnHXscG". @indiannavy. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- "New Naval Officer in charge of A.P." The Hindu. 6 January 2015. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- "Alok Bhatnagar assumes office as Naval Officer-in-Charge - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- NYOOOZ. "Only military establishment to be named after Bengal icon | Kolkata NYOOOZ". NYOOOZ. Archived from the original on 18 October 2016. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- "Navy boosting Eastern flank". New Indian Express. 31 December 2012. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "ENC Authorities & Units | Indian Navy". indiannavy.nic.in. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "Navy chief's maiden visit to ENC today". Retrieved 10 July 2016.
- "N O I C (OR) | Indian Navy". indiannavy.nic.in. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- "INS Vikramaditya Trials Finally Begin".
- "Loss of INS Andaman points to maintenance problems in Indian Navy". Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "Navy officer to head Integrated Defence Staff". www.rediff.com. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "Press Information Bureau". Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "Vice Admiral Sureesh Mehta, takes over as Foc-In-C East". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "Vice Admiral Sureesh Mehta to be the next Naval Chief". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "Vice Admiral R P Suthan to head Eastern Naval Command - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "Vice Admiral Raman P Suthan, AVSM VSM appointed Foc-in-C East". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "domain-b.com : Vice Adm N Verma to head eastern naval command, Vice Adm RP Suthan is new vice chief". www.domain-b.com. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "..:: India Strategic ::.. Vice Admiral Anup Singh AVSM NSM". www.indiastrategic.in. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "Vice Admiral Anil Chopra Takes over as The Commander-in-chief of The Eastern Naval Command | Indian Navy". www.indiannavy.nic.in. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "Vice Admiral Anil Chopra appointed as FOC-in-C, Eastern Naval Command | NetIndian". netindian.in. 29 October 2011. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "India: Admiral Chopra Takes Over as Flag Officer Commanding in Chief, Eastern Naval Command". Naval Today. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "Satish Soni takes over as ENC chief". The Hindu. Special Correspondent. 17 June 2014. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 25 October 2017.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Vice Admiral Satish Soni takes over as FOC-in-C East | Indian Navy". www.indiannavy.nic.in. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "Vice Admiral HCS Bisht taking over as Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Naval Command | Indian Navy". www.indiannavy.nic.in. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "Vice Admiral Karambir Singh takes over as the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, ENC". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 26 January 2018.