Eastern Orthodoxy in Pakistan
This article needs more links to other articles to help integrate it into the encyclopedia. (November 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Eastern Orthodoxy in Pakistan is a Christian denomination in the territory of Pakistan. In 2011, the number of Eastern Orthodox Christians in Pakistan was estimated at 500 people, representing approximately 0.0002% of the population. Eastern Orthodox Churches in the country are represented by:
There are three Eastern Orthodox parishes:
- in Lahore, administratively included in your Singapore Archdiocese
- in Islamabad, parish of the Russian Orthodox Church (MP)
- in Sargodha (Pakistan Mission Australia and New Zealand Diocese of ROCOR)
Patriarchate of Constantinople
In 2005 an Eastern Orthodox mission, headed by Pakistani priest John Tanveer, opened in Pakistan. Since 1986 he served as a Catholic priest in the city of Lahore, and in 1990 met with Greek Orthodox general. Following the meeting, John Tanveer in 1993 visited Australia, where closer acquainted with Eastern Orthodoxy. In 1996 he resigned as Catholic priest in 1997, married a graduate of Oxford - Rose. In 1998 John Tanveer comes to contact with the representatives of the Patriarchate of Constantinople and wrote a petition to adopt it in Eastern Orthodoxy. In 2001 his application was approved, and in 2003 he had his first meeting with the Eastern Orthodox bishop. In 2005 John (John) and his family, as well as many other people take to Eastern Orthodoxy.
During the period of missionary activity priest John Tanveer at his home in Lahore opened home church and catechetical school, translated into Urdu series of liturgical texts and books (including "Conversations with St. Seraphim of Sarov"), raised the issue of the official registration of the Eastern Orthodox Church in Pakistan gather funds to build a spiritual center. Besides Lahore action comes in Wazirabad and Hafizabade, as well as small community in Gujranwala, Nawabshah and Faisalabad.
April 21, 2013 the laying of the first Eastern Orthodox church was done in Wazirabad which was consecrated in On February 6, 2014.
In Islamabad opened parish of the Russian Orthodox Church(MP), which is in care of Archpriest Gennady Morozov. He visits the country on major church feasts. This parish is focused on Russians in Islamabad, mainly Russian embassy employees. † With the Blessings of Metropolitan Hilarion, First HIERARCH of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia and ruling Bishop of Pakistan, St. Michael the Archangel Orthodox Mission established in 2012 in Pakistan and registered in 2014 under Societies Registration Act 1860, to work for religious, spiritual and social development of Orthodox Christians in Pakistan. The Russian Orthodox Church in Pakistan has spiritual and canonical union with His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia. Fr.Joseph Farooq is the only canonical priest of Russian Orthodox Church in Pakistan.The Russian Orthodox Church in Pakistan came into existence with hard labor of Fr.Joseph Farooq and his team in 2011. Main Objectives of St. Michael the Archangel Orthodox Mission in Pakistan: Celebrating the Divine Liturgy. Teaching Orthodox Faith to the People in different regions of Pakistan. Translation of Prayer Books, Life of Saints,History of Russian Orthodox Church and etc. Pastoral care of Orthodox families and sick people in hospitals. Awareness about Human Rights and Adult Education Program for vulnerable women. St.Michael the Archangel Orthodox Mission of Pakistan (ROCOR). Parish: St.Sergius of Radonezh Orthodox Church Sargodha Pakistan  
- "The World Factbook — Central Intelligence Agency". Cia.gov. Retrieved 1 July 2018.
- "History of the Orthodox Mission in Pakistan – Orthodox Mission in Pakistan". Orthodoxpakistan.org. Retrieved 1 July 2018.
- "Летайте высоко и не плачьте! (+ Видео +Фото)". Pravmir.ru. Retrieved 1 July 2018.
- "First Orthodox Church in Pakistan Consecrated – Orthodox Mission in Pakistan". Orthodoxpakistan.org. Retrieved 1 July 2018.
- "Интерфакс-Религия: В Пакистане люди сопротивляются методам агрессивной проповеди, а не самому христианству". Interfax-religion.ru. Retrieved 1 July 2018.
- "Archangel Michael Mission in Pakistan". Archangel Michael Mission in Pakistan. Retrieved 1 July 2018.
- "Свящ. Адриан Августус. О Православии в Пакистане / Православие.Ru". Pravoslavia.ru. Retrieved 1 July 2018.
- "Fr. Joseph Farooq. Celebrations of 700th Anniversary of St. Sergius of Radonezh in Sargodha, Pakistan". Pravoslavia.ru. Retrieved 1 July 2018.
- "Fr. Joseph Farooq. Pakistan: The Feast of the Holy Archangel Michael and the Bodiless Powers". Pravoslavia.ru. Retrieved 1 July 2018.
- "Fr. Joseph Farooq, Nun Cornelia (Rees). "The Orthodox mission in Pakistan is growing day by day"". Pravoslavia.ru. Retrieved 1 July 2018.