Eastern Region (Ghana)
Location of Eastern Region in Ghana
|• Regional Minister||Hon. Eric Kwakye Darfour|
|• Total||19,323 km2 (7,461 sq mi)|
|Area rank||Ranked 6th|
|• Rank||Ranked 3rd|
|• Density||140/km2 (350/sq mi)|
|• Per capita||$5,150|
|• Per capita||$2,500|
|ISO 3166 code||GH-EP|
medium · 5th
The Eastern Region is located in south Ghana and is one of ten administrative regions. Eastern region is bordered to the east by the Lake Volta, to the north by Brong-Ahafo region and Ashanti region, to the west by Ashanti region, to the south by Central region and Greater Accra region. Akans are the dominant inhabitants and natives of Eastern region and Akan, Ewe and English are the main spoken languages. The Eastern region is the location of the Akosombo dam and the economy of the Eastern region is dominated by its high-capacity electricity generation. Eastern region covers an area of 19,323 square kilometres, which is about 8.1% of Ghana's total landform.
High-capacity electricity generation Akosombo Hydroelectric Project contains three main tributaries: the Black Volta; the White Volta and the Red Volta and the Akosombo Hydroelectric Project flows into the Gulf of Guinea on the Atlantic Ocean.
- Krobo Girls' Presbyterian Senior High School
- St. Peter's Boys Senior High School
- Aburi Girls Senior High School
- St Roses Senior High (Akwatia)
- Pope John Senior High School and Minor Seminary
- Ofori Panin Senior High School
- Suhum Presbyterian Senior High School
- Nifa Senior High School
- Presbyterian High School Mampong
- Methodist Senior High Technical School (Akuse)
- Koforidua Secondary Technical School
- Akosombo International School
- New Juaben Senior High Commercial School
- Akwamuman Senior High School
- Okuapeman Senior High School
- St Matins Senior High School
- Benkum Senior High School
- Ghana Senior High School, Koforidua
- Asamankese Senior High School
- Akim Oda Senior High School
- Akim Swedru Senior High School
- Saint Francis Senior High School
- Mpraeso Senior High School
- Oti Boateng Senior High School
- Oyoko Methodist Senior High School
- Nkawkaw Senior High School
- Nkwatia Presby Senior High School
- Suhum Senior High and technical School
- Mangoase Senior High School
- St Thomas Senior High Technical School, Asamankese
- Akroso Senior High School
- Adeisu Presbyterian Senior High School
- nsawam senior high school
- Saviour Senior High School
- Asesewa Senior High School
- Klo Agogo Senior High School
- Manya Krobo Senior High School
- Yilo Krobo Senior High School
- Akro Sectech, Odumase Krobo
- Kwabeng Anglican Senior High and Technical School
- Ashesi University
- All Nations University
- University College of Agriculture and Environmental Studies
- Koforidua Technical University
The Afram Plains District has since been split into two and renamed as Kwahu Afram Plains North District with its capital being Donkorkrom and Kwahu Afram Plains South District with its capital also being Tease. The Akuapim South District, East Akim District and Kwahu West Districts have been upgraded to Municipal status with the addition of Birim Central Municipal District which is entirely new. Other new districts include Akyemansa District and Kwahu East District. The Manya Krobo District has been split into Lower Manya Krobo District and Upper Manya Krobo District.
The region is divided into administrative districts. The total number of districts were increased from 21 districts to 26. The current list is as follows:
|Districts in Eastern region|
|1||Akuapim North Municipal||Akropong||136,483|
|7||Birim Central Municipal||Akim Oda||144,869|
|8||Birim North||New Abirem||78,907|
|9||Birim South||Akim Swedru||119,767|
|11||East Akim Municipal||Kibi||167,896|
|14||Kwahu Afram Plains North||Donkorkrom||102,423|
|15||Kwahu Afram Plains South||Tease||115,812|
|18||Kwahu West Municipal||Nkawkaw||93,584|
|19||Lower Manya Krobo||Odumase Krobo||89,246|
|21||Nsawam Adoagyire Municipal||Nsawam||86,000|
|23||Upper Manya Krobo||Asesewa||72,092|
|24||Upper West Akim||Adeiso||87,051|
|25||West Akim Municipal||Asamankese||108,298|
Famous native citizens
|Famous native citizens of Eastern region|
|2||Yaw Boakye-Yiadom||East Akim Municipality (Akyem-Maase, Bunso)|
|4||Dr. J. B. Danquah||Kibi|
|5||John M. Kuzah||Suhum, Ghana|
|6||Frederick W. K. Akuffo||Akropong|
|7||Thomas Teye Partey||Krobo Odumase|
- "Regional Ministers - Government of Ghana". ghana.gov.gh.
- "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- "Eastern Region". GhanaDistricts.com. Archived from the original on 2013-01-18. Retrieved 2009-11-20.
- Fobil 2003
- "Senior High Schools > Eastern Region - Ghana Schools Online". www.ghanaschoolsonline.com.
- [McAnthony Dagyenga,2017].
- "Eastern Region". GhanaNation.com. Retrieved 23-12-2010.
- "Ghana Districts". Ghana Districts. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- GeoHive http://www.geohive.com/cntry/ghana.aspx. Retrieved 12 November 2014. Missing or empty
- "Boachsoft Homepage - ultimate software solutions provider". www.boachsoft.com.