Eastern University (Bangladesh)
|Motto||Distinction in Education|
|Chairman||Mr. Liaquat Hossain Moghul|
|Chancellor||President Abdul Hamid|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Dr. Shahid Akhtar Hossain|
|231 (130 are full time)|
|Affiliations||University Grants Commission(UGC),|
IEB : The Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh
Eastern University (Bengali: ইস্টার্ন ইউনিভার্সিটি) or EU is a private university located in Dhanmondi, Dhaka, Bangladesh. The permanent campus of EU is located in Ashulia. The Eastern University was established in 2003 under the Private University Act 1992, and later on approved under Private University Act of 2010. The university was set up by Eastern University Foundation - a non-profit, non-political and philanthropic organization. Its founders include academics, chartered accountants, engineers, industrialists and retired civil servants. The Foundation has 30 members. The governance of Eastern University is carried out as per the Private Universities Act of 2010 by several bodies: Board of Trustees, Syndicate, Academic Council, Curriculum Committee, Finance Committee, Teacher Selection Committee and Disciplinary Committee.
The university campus is located in Dhanmandi and is accessible from any part of Dhaka and outskirts by public transportation as well as taxi cab, auto-rickshaw and rickshaw. EU has purchased 20 Bigha of land in Uttara & Ashulia, Dhaka for constructing a permanent campus.
Faculties and departments
The university has four faculties: Faculty of Arts, Faculty of Business Administration, Faculty of Engineering and Technology, and Faculty of Law. The Faculty of Arts has two departments – the Department of English and the Department of Applied Linguistics and ELT (English Language Teaching). The Faculty of Business Administration has four major areas, namely, Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Management and Human Resource. A few social science courses are also offered by the faculty . The Faculty of Engineering and Technology has two departments, namely the Department of Computer Science & Information Technology and the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. Approval of the Department of Textile Engineering is under consideration by UGC. The Faculty of Law has an undergraduate and postgraduate program.
- BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration) Program
- MBA (Master of Business Administration) Program
- EMBA(Executive Master of Business Administration) Program
- B.Sc. CSE (Computer Science and Engineering)
- B.Sc. EEE (Electrical and Electronic Engineering)
- M.Sc. CS (Computer Science)
Approval for the B.Sc. in Textile Engineering is under consideration by UGC. Other programs to be launched include a B.Sc. in Civil Engineering, Bachelor of Architecture, B.Sc. in Pharmacy and Post-Graduate Diploma in Environment and Climate Change
- Bachelor of Law (Hons.)
- Master of Laws (1 year program)
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) in English
- Master of Arts in English Language and literature
- Masters in English language teaching (ELT) (1 year program)
- Masters in English language teaching (ELT) (2 year program)
Eastern University follo North American model of curriculum in the fields of Business Administration, Computer Science and Electrical and Electronics Engineering; the UK model in Law and English. The academic program is pursued through a curriculum that includes splitting up of an academic year into three semesters: the Fall, the Spring and the Summer.
The academic session of EU is a three semester cycle: Spring, Summer and Fall.
The university has 231 full-time and part-time faculty members out of which 47 are Ph.D including a visiting professor from the United States.
The university has signed MOUs with universities abroad for credit transfer of students with financial support, student exchange, faculty exchange, research collaboration and assistance in setting up new programs. Following is a list of such universities and institutions:
- Franklin University, Ohio, USA
- AIS, St Helen, Auckland, New Zealand
- London Premier College affiliated with London University, UK
- University of Worcester, UK
- Tampere University of Applied Sciences, Finland
- University Malaysia Perlis (UniMAP), Malaysia
- Yunnan University of Finance and Economics (YUFE), China
- Management and Science University, Malaysia
- Yunnan Open University (YNOU), China
- Yunnan Normal University (YNNU), China
Research and publications
The university has a research center known as the Centre for Research and Development. In addition to facilitating research studies and consultancy projects, it organizes research, seminars and training on research methodology. The university publishes a biannual refereed journal - The Eastern University Journal.