Eastern WV Regional Airport
|Eastern WV Regional Airport
|IATA: MRB – ICAO: KMRB – FAA LID: MRB|
|Owner||Eastern WV Regional Airport Authority|
|Serves||Martinsburg, West Virginia|
|Elevation AMSL||565 ft / 172 m|
Eastern WV Regional Airport (IATA: MRB, ICAO: KMRB, FAA LID: MRB), also known as Shepherd Field, is a joint public and military use airport located four nautical miles (5 mi, 7 km) south of the central business district of Martinsburg, a city in Berkeley County, West Virginia, United States. It is owned by the Eastern WV Regional Airport Authority. This airport is included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015, which categorized it as a reliever airport.
The airport is mostly used for general aviation. It is co-located with the West Virginia Air National Guard's 167th Airlift Wing (167 AW), which is stationed at the Shepherd Field Air National Guard Base. The 167 AW is an Air Mobility Command (AMC)-gained unit which operates the C-5 Galaxy. In 2007, the airport underwent a renovation which included the removal of the secondary runway, expansion of the main runway, and the renovation of the parking pads for the C-5A aircraft. The renovation added hangars for the C-5As, as the C-130H hangars were grossly inadequate for the size of the larger plane.
The 167th Airlift Wing held an open house in conjunction with the Thunder Over the Blue Ridge Air Show on September 4 and 5, 2010. The United States Air Force Thunderbirds and the United States Army Parachute Team attended the show which drew a crowd of more than 80,000 people.
Facilities and aircraft
The airport covers an area of 1,015 acres (411 ha) at an elevation of 565 feet (172 m) above mean sea level. It has one runway designated 8/26 with an asphalt surface measuring 8,815 by 150 feet (2,687 x 46 m).
For the 12-month period ending August 10, 2007, the airport had 52,750 aircraft operations, an average of 144 per day: 52% general aviation, 47% military, and 1% air taxi. At that time there were 81 aircraft based at this airport: 69% single-engine, 16% multi-engine, and 15% military.
- FAA Airport Master Record for MRB ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective April 5, 2012.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A (PDF, 2.03 MB)" (PDF). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010. External link in
- Martinsburg/Eastern WV Regional Airport at West Virginia DOT Airport Directory
- WV Air National Guard
- Aerial image as of March 1991 from USGS The National Map
- (PDF), effective November 12, 2015
- FAA Terminal Procedures for MRB, effective November 12, 2015
- Resources for this airport: