Eastfield High Street
|Population||7,178 (2021 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Eastfield is a town and civil parish in North Yorkshire, England. It was granted town status in January 2016. It is directly south of Scarborough and is sometimes described as one of its suburbs.
According to the 2011 UK census, Eastfield parish had a population of 5,610, a reduction on the 2001 UK census figure of 5,863. The town council is Eastfield Town Council. The population for Eastfield according to the 2021 UK census was returned as 7,178.
The area has a mid-size Industrial Park (Olympian Trading Park), the rapidly expanding Scarborough Business Park, and Plaxton Park is on the outskirts of Eastfield. The area is the base for a number of large businesses, for example Plaxton, Raflatac, Unison, Cooplands and Dale Power Solutions. The largest factory in the vicinity is McCain Foods. Boyes, a discount department store chain which has over 70 stores across the north has its head office and warehouse facilities here.
In April 2021, Historic England announced the discovery of an important Roman residential site during a survey for a new housing estate, suggesting it to be either a religious sanctuary, a luxury villa or combination of both. It is a type of building layout not known of elsewhere in Britain. Within hours of the announcement of the discovery, people trespassed onto the site and caused damage to the building. The discovery of the site caused a reduction of planned homes, from approximately 150 to 94.
- "Nomis - Official Census and Labour Market Statistics". Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 3 November 2023.
- "Filey and Eastfield". North Yorkshire Police. North Yorkshire Police. Archived from the original on 4 April 2021. Retrieved 10 May 2021.
In January 2016, Eastfield was given 'Town' status in a bid to obtain better opportunities for residents.
- Teale, Andrew (25 May 2023). "Previewing the Eastfield, North Yorkshire by-election of 25th May 2023". Britain Elects. Retrieved 15 June 2023.
Effectively a Scarborough suburb, Eastfield is
- "Investment Cayton Low Road, Eastfield, Scarborough YO11 3BY". Connect Property North East. Retrieved 15 June 2023.
located in Eastfield a suburb of Scarborough
- UK Census (2011). "Local Area Report – Eastfield Parish (1170217373)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 5 March 2018.
- UK Census (2001). "Local Area Report – Eastfield Parish (36UG053)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 17 April 2021.
- "Eastfield Town Council". eastfieldtowncouncil. Eastfield Town Council. Archived from the original on 10 May 2021. Retrieved 10 May 2021.
- "Scarborough family firm expands". The Scarborough News. 25 May 2011. Archived from the original on 28 October 2019. Retrieved 20 November 2019.
- Hollingsworth, Louise (22 October 2020). "New Life for local radio station". Leeds Now. Leeds Now. Archived from the original on 20 January 2021. Retrieved 10 May 2021.
Following the announcement that much-loved radio station Yorkshire Coast Radio was closing down after its 27 years on air [...] With the closure of Yorkshire Coast Radio came a petition calling for it to remain open
- Topping, Alexandra (15 April 2021). "Roman site uncovered in Scarborough hailed as first of its kind in UK". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 15 April 2021.
- "Rare Roman Remains Discovered in Scarborough". Historic England. Retrieved 15 April 2021.
- "More Roman ruins could be found at 'nationally important' Eastfield site as new digs set to begin". The Scarborough News. 6 May 2021. Archived from the original on 7 May 2021. Retrieved 10 May 2021.