- for another place in Gloucestershire with the same name see Eastington, Cotswold
Finger post, Eastington
|Eastington shown within Gloucestershire|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
Eastington is a village and civil parish in the English county of Gloucestershire. It lies 4 miles west of Stroud and 9 miles south of Gloucester at the entrance to the Stroud Valley. It is situated west of the town of Stonehouse and is convenient for Junction 13 of the M5 motorway and the A38 and A419 roads. Since the M5 and its access roads were opened, the main road no longer runs through the village.
Eastington has a number of farms and former mills.
There are a small number of retail outlets including a Co-op, a butchers, two pubs, two hairdressers, and a garage. There is also a village hall, where the brownie pack and rainbow pack meet, and a primary school, which has about 120 students. There is also a community building where Eastington playgroup and various clubs are held. At nearby Claypits there is a farm shop which sells oil and animal feed, and a coach company.
There are two churches, one Church of England, and the other a Methodist.
The village is part of 'Eastington and Standish' electoral ward. This ward starts in the south west at Eastington and follows the M5 motorway north eastwards to Standish. The total ward population taken at the 2011 census was 1,794.
Media related to Eastington, Stroud at Wikimedia Commons
- Eastington, from Elrington et al. (1972), A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, pp. 123–139. Victoria County History series, via British History Online
- GENUKI(tm) index page for Eastington
- Eastington Primary School web site
- Owen Harris Sports and Playing Fields Website
- Keep Eastington Rural Website
- Stroud Voices (Eastington filter) - oral history site
|This Gloucestershire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|