Eastman Dental Hospital
|Eastman Dental Hospital|
|University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust|
Eastman Dental Hospital
|Location||London, United Kingdom|
|Care system||NHS England|
|Affiliated university||University College London|
|Emergency department||Yes, for children only|
|Website||Eastman Dental Hospital|
|Lists||Hospitals in the United Kingdom|
The Eastman Dental Hospital is a specialist hospital for dental treatment located in London, England, and a part of the University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. It is based on Gray's Inn Road in the Bloomsbury area of Central London.
The Eastman Dental Hospital is closely associated with University College London (UCL), and in partnership with the UCL Eastman Dental Institute, which occupies the same site, is a major centre for dental research and the largest provider of postgraduate teaching and training in dentistry in Europe. In 2009 there were more than 22,000 orthodontic appointments at the hospital, making its orthodontic department one of the largest in the UK. The hospital is part of both the UCLH/UCL Biomedical Research Centre and the UCL Partners academic health science centre.
In 1926, George Eastman donated £200,000 (plus another £100,000 from two other principal benefactors) for the establishment of a specialist dental and oral health clinic for the benefit of poor children of Central London. The Eastman Dental Clinic was constructed between 1928 and 1930 to the design of Sir John Burnet and Partners and was opened on 20 November 1931 by the American Ambassador. Until 1947/48, the clinic was integrated into the Royal Free Hospital. Afterwards, as an independent institution, it was established as the postgraduate dental institute of the Postgraduate Medical Federation.
The Objects of the Institute were:
The training of consultants, specialists and teachers, in various branches of dentistry. To provide facilities for and encourage research by members of staff and students. To provide clinical and laboratory facilities and instruction for candidates working for higher degrees or diplomas. To provide short courses for general practitioners, in so far as it is possible to do so without interfering with the main objects as set out above.
The future role of the Institute and Hospital in national and worldwide postgraduate dental education and training was created with the establishment of the Faculty of Dental Surgery, in 1948, at the Royal College of Surgeons by Professor Robert Bradlaw, and the creation of the Dental Fellowship examination.
After the creation of the National Health Service, the need for free primary dental care was met nationally and the Eastman Clinic ended its routine treatment (but retaining a casualty service) and changed its name to the Eastman Dental Hospital.
The following services are currently provided at the hospital:
- Oral medicine and Special Needs Dentistry
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Paediatric Dentistry
- Conservative Dentistry
- Prosthetic Dentistry
- The Eastman Practice
- Burkhart School of Dental Hygiene and Dental Therapy
- Education and Training (Accredited) Assessment Centre for Dental Nurses
- "Eastman Dental Hospital". University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. Retrieved 3 September 2010.
- "UCLH fact file". University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. Retrieved 3 September 2010.
- "Homepage". UCL Eastman Dental Institute. Retrieved 3 September 2010.
- "Home". UCLH/UCL Comprehensive Biomedical Research Centre. Retrieved 10 September 2010.
- "About us". UCL Partners. Archived from the original on 10 September 2010. Retrieved 10 September 2010.
- "A history of EDI". UCL Eastman Dental Institute. Archived from the original on 26 July 2011. Retrieved 3 September 2010.
- "Eastman Dental Hospital (former Eastman Dental Clinic) 256, Camden Town". British Listed Buildings. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- Nick Black, Walking London's medical history
- "Eastman Dental Hospital". Lost Hospitals of London. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eastman Dental Hospital.|
- University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- UCL Eastman Dental Institute
- UCL School of Life & Medical Sciences
- UCL Partners