Eastport, New York
|Eastport, New York|
|Hamlet and census-designated place|
The Eastport Elementary School on Montauk Highway with a World War I memorial in front of it.
|• Total||5.4 sq mi (14.0 km2)|
|• Land||5.3 sq mi (13.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||30 ft (9 m)|
|• Density||340/sq mi (130/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0949307|
Eastport is located within the Eastport-South Manor Central School District.
Eastport is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 5.4 square miles (14.0 km2), of which 5.3 square miles (13.6 km2) is land and 0.12 square miles (0.3 km2), or 2.41%, is water.
Eastport dates to the 1730s when a gristmill was built there. It started as two hamlets, Seatuck and Waterville, and in the 1850s applied for a post office by the name of Seatuck. It was refused because it was too similar to Setauket, New York. It was renamed Eastport.
In the first half of the 20th century it was the capital of the production of Long Island ducks, producing 6.5 million ducks from 29 farms a year going to market. At one time, the western portion of Eastport, located in the town of Brookhaven, was called "Seatuck", and the eastern portion, located in Southampton, was known as "Waterville". In the last twenty years, practically all duck farms were phased out and the descendants of the original farmers sold the valuable waterfront property for residential development projects.
Demographics for the CDP
At the 2000 census, there were 1,454 people, 554 households and 373 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 264.7 per square mile (102.3/km2). There were 637 housing units at an average density of 116.0/sq mi (44.8/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 93.26% White, 0.83% African American, 0.28% Native American, 1.17% Asian, 2.54% from other races, and 1.93% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 9.35% of the population.
There were 554 households of which 30.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.2% were married couples living together, 7.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.5% were non-families. 27.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 3.10.
Age distribution was 23.9% under the age of 18, 5.8% from 18 to 24, 30.7% from 25 to 44, 25.8% from 45 to 64, and 13.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 107.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 104.1 males.
The median household income was $50,550, and the median family income was $52,917. Males had a median income of $40,163 versus $35,000 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $24,391. About 5.7% of families and 6.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.7% of those under age 18 and 2.2% of those age 65 or over.
- Long Island Country Club: in 1898 the clubhouse was destroyed in a fire.
- Cornell University has a Duck Research Laboratory on Old Country Road (Suffolk CR 71).
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Eastport CDP, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved 2012-12-27.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Eastport: Ducks Fit the Bill to Pay the Bills - Newsday - Retrieved 2007-11-03
- Historical Profiles of Eastport, Speonk/Remsenburg, Westhampton
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Long Island Country Club Burned". New York Times. April 4, 1898. Retrieved 2011-05-26.
The Long Island Country Clubhouse, at ... was destroyed by fire to-day. The fire started about noon, and the neighbors being unable to do anything to check ...
- Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine - Duck Research Laboratory
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eastport, New York.|