Eastwood High School (Texas)
|Eastwood High School|
2430 McRae Blvd.
El Paso, Texas
|Motto||Home of El Paso's Finest|
|School district||Ysleta Independent School District|
|Enrollment||2,277 (2015) |
|Color(s)||Trooper Blue |
|Mascot||Sarge the Trooper|
Eastwood High School, "Home of El Paso's Finest," is located in the city of El Paso, Texas. Eastwood had its first graduating senior class in 1965; today Eastwood High School has 400+ graduates annually. The school is in the Ysleta Independent School District. In 1976, Eastwood High School Troopers won the Class 4A (now 6A) State Championship in basketball as the underdog of the state tourney, as of 2015 the feat has yet to be repeated by any other El Paso basketball team.
The famed Trooper mascot is based on the Union Cavalry Soldiers during the American Civil War. Both the school and the cavalry units share the blue and gold color scheme.
In 2013 the Texas UIL changed the realignments. As of 2014 Eastwood High School is now in the UIL 6A division and the only 6A high school in the Ysleta Independent School District.
After the passage of a district wide renovation bond, the original 1965 Eastwood building was torn down and is being replaced with a state of the art new 21st century school building. The cost of the building is estimated at $93 million and is set to be completed in August 2019. As a result of the reconstruction and decrease in capacity, Eastwood has seen a reduction in student population and will be realigned to compete in the 5-A U.I.L Division for 2018-2020.
- Reveille - Eastwood's literary magazine
- Sabre- Eastwood News Outlet
- City recognized marching band
- Jazz bands
- Student Council
- Rachel's Challenge
- Speech and Debate
- Drama Club (associated with International Thespian Society)
- String Orchestra
- Youth For Christ
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes - Known for its dodgeball tournaments
- Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) Club
- Math and Science U.I.L. Teams
- Astronomy Club
- National Honors Society
- National Science Honors Society
- Rho Kappa Society
- Mock Trial
- Chick-Fil-A Leader Academy
- Motivation Speaks
- Art Club
- Science Fair Club
- CB Club
- EHS Skate Club
- Video Technology Club
- Photo Journalism
- Chess Club
- Glee Club
- Car Club
- Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
- Eastwood High School is home to the largest chapter of FBLA in the city of El Paso. In 2017-2018 both the TX FBLA State President and National FBLA Vice President were students at Eastwood. This chapter is also home to a former Texas Advisor of the Year and has multiple members with state championships.
- HI-Q (Quiz Bowl Team)
- El Paso's Finest Speech and Debate Team
- The speech and debate team at Eastwood High School has evolved into a powerhouse, winning sweepstakes awards at numerous Texas Forensics Association Tournaments.
- Army JROTC
- JROTC Honor Guard
- JROTC Armed Drill Team
- JROTC Unarmed Drill Team
- JROTC Cadet Challenge- male& female
- JROTC Color Guard- [male, female & mixed]
- JROTC Orienteering
- JROTC Rifle Team
- Eastwood Robotics Team
- VEX Multi-time World Qualifying team 
- Cavaliers: Eastwood Varsity Choir
- Eastwood Marching Band
- Eastwood Varsity Guitar
- Eastwood Orchestra
- High Q 
- Recognized on the city, state, regional, and national level
- Musical Theatre
- Cappies Student Critique Program
- UIL Academic Teams
- The Eastwood UIL Academic team structure is decentralized, with many coaches for various subjects including History, Current Events, Mathematics, Theatre, and Literature.
This section does not cite any sources. (March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Won the Texas 4A State Championship in 1976
- Cross Country
- Won the Texas 5A State Championship in 2018
- On a current streak of 30+ consecutive district titles.
- Track and field
- Won the Texas State Championship in 1985, 1995, 2011, and 2013. Runners-Up in 1984, 1989, 1994, 2000, 2010, 2012 and 2014.
- Cross Country
- Track and Field
- Jack Handey - best known for his Deep Thoughts segments on Saturday Night Live.
- Butch Henry - former Major League pitcher.
- Frank Castillo - former Major League Baseball pitcher.
- Eric Jack (Class of 1990)- former National Football League defensive back. Atlanta Falcons, University of New Mexico
- Cesar J. Blanco - Texas State Representative and House Minority Whip
- http://www.tea.state.tx.us/cgi/sas/broker?_service=marykay&_program=adhoc.addispatch.sas&endyear=08&major=st&minor=e&format=w&selsumm=nc&linespg=60&charsln=120&grouping=g&key=071905002[dead link]
- Rudi, Mark (February 4, 2014). "UIL announces district realignment, includes El Paso schools". El Paso Times. Archived from the original on January 18, 2015. Retrieved December 18, 2014.
- Guadian, Stephanie (2016-09-09). "Eastwood H.S. set for $93 million renovation; some students will be moved during construction". KVIA. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- Licerio, Amy. "Renovations for Eastwood High School begin". KDBC. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- Ochoa, Adrian (2018-02-02). "UIL Realignments: El Dorado & Eastwood moving down from 6A to 5A". KVIA. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- Shea, Larry. "http://eastwoodsabre.com/2018/02/21/isnt-perjury-a-crime-eastwood-mock-trial-bittersweet-end/". eastwoodsabre.com. Retrieved 2018-03-18. External link in
- Sapien, Cassandra. "http://eastwoodsabre.com/2018/02/16/seniors-succeed-at-district-science-fair/". eastwoodsabre.com. Retrieved 2018-03-18. External link in
- Valencia, Jamel. "Eastwood High School robotic teams heads to world competition". KFOX. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- "High Q Team Homepage". Archived from the original on March 19, 2012. Retrieved February 17, 2012.