Front cover of US 7-inch vinyl single
|Single by Philip Bailey and Phil Collins|
|from the album Chinese Wall|
|Released||November 1984 (US),
February 1985 (UK)
|Genre||Pop rock, dance-rock|
|Length||4:50 (Single Edit)
5:02 (Album Version)
6:18 (Extended Version)
|Writer(s)||Philip Bailey, Phil Collins, Nathan East|
|Philip Bailey singles chronology|
"Easy Lover" is a hit song performed by Philip Bailey and Phil Collins and written by Bailey, Collins, and Nathan East. The song appeared on Bailey's solo album Chinese Wall. Collins has performed the song in his live concerts and it appears on his 1990 album Serious Hits... Live!, as well as his 1998 compilation album, ...Hits.
The song was a No. 1 hit in several countries worldwide, including Canada, Holland, Ireland, Japan, and the UK. In the U.S. it reached No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100, kept out of the top spot for two weeks by "I Want to Know What Love Is" by Foreigner. In the UK Singles Chart it reached No. 1, staying there for four weeks. The single sold over a million copies in the U.S. and was certified gold, as the RIAA requirement for a platinum single disc was not lowered to 1 million units until 1989. In addition, "Easy Lover" has been certified gold by the British Phonographic Industry for sales of over 400,000 in the UK and platinum in Canada by Music Canada.
Weekly singles charts
|Australian Singles Chart||73|
|Austrian Singles Chart||18|
|Canada (The Record)||1|
|Dutch Top 40||1|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||5|
|French Singles Chart||14|
|German Singles Chart||5|
|Irish Singles Chart||1|
|Oricon Japanese Weekly Singles Chart||19|
|Oricon Japanese International Chart||1|
|New Zealand Top 50 ||2|
|Swedish Singles Chart||10|
|Swiss Singles Chart||8|
|UK Singles Chart||1|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||2|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks||15|
|U.S. Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks||5|
|U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||3|
|U.S. Cash Box||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100 ||12|
|US Cash Box ||7|
- Philip Bailey - vocals
- Phil Collins - vocals, drums
- Daryl Stuermer - guitars
- Nathan East - bass
- Lesette Wilson - keyboards
- Strong, M. C. (1995). The Great Rock Discography. Edinburgh: Canongate Books Ltd. p. 251. ISBN 0-86241-385-0.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 447. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Gold & Platinum Searchable Database - March 29, 2014". RIAA. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- "Rock Music, etc., Terms". spider.georgetowncollege.edu. Retrieved 2009-03-23.
- [dead link]
- "Music Canada : Gold Platinum Database". Musiccanada.com. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- "MTV Video Music Awards History: Best Overall Performance". Rock On The Net. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- "Grammy Awards: Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Group or Duo". Rock On The Net. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- "Final track listing for Mimicry and Memories". Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- Ryan, Gavin (2011). Australia's Music Charts 1988–2010. Mt. Martha, VIC, Australia: Moonlight Publishing.
- Lwin, Nanda. Top 40 Hits: The Essential Chart Guide (2000). Mississauga, Ont.: Music Data Canada
- "De Nederlandse Top 40, week 4, 1985". Retrieved 2008-03-01.
- Nyman, Jake (2005). Suomi soi 4: Suuri suomalainen listakirja (in Finnish) (1st ed.). Helsinki: Tammi. ISBN 951-31-2503-3.
- "Hit Parade Italia - Indice per Interprete: C". Hit Parade Italia. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
"Careless Whisper" by Wham!
|Canadian RPM number-one single
February 9, 1985 – February 16, 1985
"I Want to Know What Love Is" by Foreigner
"You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)" by Dead or Alive
|UK number one single
23 March 1985 - 13 April 1985
"We Are the World" by USA for Africa
"Like a Virgin" by Madonna
|Japanese Oricon International Singles Chart number one single
4 March 1985 – 11 March 1985
"The NeverEnding Story" by Limahl