|Single by "Weird Al" Yankovic|
|from the album "Weird Al" Yankovic in 3-D|
|B-side||"That Boy Could Dance"|
|Released||February 28, 1984|
|Recorded||December 13, 1983|
|"Weird Al" Yankovic singles chronology|
British single cover
Japanese single cover
|"Weird Al" Yankovic in 3-D track listing|
"Eat It" is a 1984 song by comedy music artist "Weird Al" Yankovic. It is a spoof of "Beat It" by Michael Jackson. The track was both a commercial and critical success, earning Yankovic a Grammy Award. It peaked at #12 in the United States, and reached #1 in Australia. The famous guitar solo, performed by Eddie Van Halen, was reproduced by Al's producer, Rick Derringer.
According to Yankovic, when he presented his lyrics to Jackson for review, he didn't know what kind of reaction he'd get. Jackson allegedly thought it was amusing, and agreed to allow the parody. On October 19, 1989, the RIAA certified "Eat It" as a gold single.
The song is about a parent's exasperating quest to get their picky child to eat its food.
The single reached number 1 in Australia, and it was his highest-charting US single on the Billboard Hot 100 at number 12 until "White & Nerdy" peaked at number 9 in October 2006. "Eat It" earned Yankovic a 1984 Grammy Award in the Best Comedy Recording category. "Eat It" also outranked "Beat It" in overall highest position on the Australian Aria Charts, with its highest rank being number 1, while "Beat It"'s highest is 3rd. As stated before, the RIAA certified "Eat It" as a gold single on October 19, 1989.
- "Eat It" – 3:19
- "That Boy Could Dance" – 3:32
- "Eat It" – 3:19
- "I Lost on Jeopardy" – 3:26
The video for "Eat It" is styled as a shot-for-shot remake of Jackson's video for "Beat It", but with elements being parodied in various silly ways and Yankovic dressed as the latter. The video also features a few of the same dancers from Jackson's video and Yankovic mimicking the dance moves from the original video in a clumsy manner.
|Australian Singles Chart||1|
|Irish Singles Chart||18|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||6|
|UK Singles Chart||36|
|US Billboard Hot 100||12|
- List of singles by "Weird Al" Yankovic
- List of songs by "Weird Al" Yankovic
- "Fat", another Michael Jackson parody by "Weird Al" Yankovic (released in 1988).
- Jackson allows Yankovic to parody "Beat It"
- Eat It's Certification in the US
- Eat It's Highest Ranking on the Billboard 100
- Yankovic discusses Grammy's with Andy Greene
- Campbell 1995, p. 154.
- "Search" Archived 2009-06-03 at WebCite. Irish Charts. In the "Search by Artist" field, put in Weird Al Yankocic. Retrieved July 18, 2014.
- "Werid Al Yankovic - Eat It". New Zealand Charts Portal. Hung Medien. Retrieved July 18, 2014.
"99 Luftballons" by Nena
|Australian Kent Music Report number-one single
May 7, 1984
"Footloose" by Kenny Loggins