Eben Upton at the Alan Turing festival, Edinburgh 2012 by Jim Killock
|Born||Eben Christopher Upton
April 1978 (age 38)
Pontypool, Wales, United Kingdom
|Thesis||Compiling with data dependence graphs (2006)|
|Doctoral advisor||Martin Richards|
|Known for||Raspberry Pi|
Eben Christopher Upton CBE (born 5 April 1978) is a Technical Director and ASIC architect for Broadcom. He is also a founder and former trustee of the Raspberry Pi Foundation, and now CEO of Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd., which develops, markets, manufactures & sells highly cost effective programmable computing devices on a global basis. He is also responsible for the overall software and hardware architecture of the Raspberry Pi device.
Upton completed a Bachelor of Arts degree in Physics and Engineering in 1999 at the University of Cambridge. He went on to do the Cambridge Diploma in Computer Science graduating in 2001. After his diploma, Upton went on to study for a Doctor of Philosophy degree in the Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge. After finishing his PhD he completed an executive Master of Business Administration at the Cambridge Judge Business School while working in industry.
Prior to working at Broadcom, Upton was Director of Studies in Computer Science at St John's College, Cambridge with responsibility for undergraduate admissions and organising teaching for St John's undergraduate students on the Computer Science Tripos.
Upton has published several books and papers including the Oxford Rhyming Dictionary with his father Clive Upton. With Gareth Halfacree he co-authored the Raspberry Pi User Guide. During his academic career, he co-authored several peer-reviewed scientific papers on mobile services, Human–computer interaction (HCI), bluetooth and data dependency graphs.
- Eben Upton, 34: His ultracheap computer is perfect for tinkering
- "Raspberry Pi inventor joins silver medal table". The Telegraph.
- The MagPi Issue 4 - Eben and Liz: The interview, August 2012
- on YouTube
- on YouTube
- Upton, Eben (2006). Compiling with data dependence graphs (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge.
- Raspberry Pi: Dr Eben Upton, Inventor
- Haggle: Seamless Networking for Mobile Applications in Thomas Strang; John Krumm; Gregory D. Abowd; Aruna Seneviratne (2007). UbiComp 2007: Ubiquitous Computing: 9th International Conference, UbiComp 2007, Innsbruck, Austria, September 16-19, 2007, Proceedings (Lecture Notes in ... Applications, incl. Internet/Web, and HCI). Berlin: Springer. ISBN 3-540-74852-0.
- Raspberry Pi interview: Eben Upton reveals all
- Upton, Eben; Upton, Clive (2004). Oxford Rhyming Dictionary. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-280115-5.
- Upton, Eben; Gareth Halfacree (2012). Raspberry Pi User Guide. New York: Wiley. ISBN 1-118-46446-X.
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic Search
- Eben Upton's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database, a service provided by Elsevier. (subscription required)
- Eben Upton at DBLP Bibliography Server
- Toye, E.; Sharp, R.; Madhavapeddy, A.; Scott, D.; Upton, E.; Blackwell, A. (2006). "Interacting with mobile services: An evaluation of camera-phones and visual tags". Personal and Ubiquitous Computing 11 (2): 97. doi:10.1007/s00779-006-0064-9.
- Scott, D.; Sharp, R.; Madhavapeddy, A.; Upton, E. (2005). "Using visual tags to bypass Bluetooth device discovery". ACM SIGMOBILE Mobile Computing and Communications Review 9: 41. doi:10.1145/1055959.1055965.
- Hymans, C.; Upton, E. (2004). "Static Analysis of Gated Data Dependence Graphs". Static Analysis. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 3148. p. 197. doi:10.1007/978-3-540-27864-1_16. ISBN 978-3-540-22791-5.
- The London Gazette: . 11 June 2016.