Upton at the Alan Turing festival, Edinburgh 2012 by Jim Killock
Eben Christopher Upton
5 April 1978
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge (BA, PhD, MBA)|
|Known for||Raspberry Pi|
|Thesis||Compiling with data dependence graphs (2006)|
|Doctoral advisor||Martin Richards|
Eben Christopher Upton  (born 5 April 1978) is a British technical director and ASIC architect for Broadcom. He is also a founder and former trustee of the Raspberry Pi Foundation, and now CEO of Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd., the wholly owned subsidiary which runs the engineering and trading activities of the Foundation. He is responsible for the overall software and hardware architecture of the Raspberry Pi device.
He is the son of Clive Upton, born in Griffithstown near Pontypool in South Wales; he lived in Lae in Papua New Guinea between the ages of eight weeks and two and a half years. He then returned to the UK to grow up in Leeds, Birmingham and Ilkley.
Upton completed a Bachelor of Arts degree in Physics and Engineering in 1999 at the University of Cambridge where he was an undergraduate student at St John's College, Cambridge. He went on to do the Cambridge Diploma in Computer Science graduating in 2001. After his diploma, Upton was a research student in the Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge. After finishing his Ph.D. he took a Master of Business Administration (MBA) at the Cambridge Judge Business School while working in industry.
Before working at Broadcom, Upton was Director of Studies in Computer Science at St John's College, Cambridge, with responsibility for undergraduate admissions. During his academic career, he co-authored papers on mobile services, Human–computer interaction (HCI), bluetooth and data dependency graphs. He has been a visiting Researcher at Intel Corporation, Founder and Chief Technology Officer at Ideaworks3D and a software engineer at IBM.
Awards and honours
Upton is married to Liz whom he met at university.
- Eben Upton, 34: His ultracheap computer is perfect for tinkering
- "Eben Upton CBE". Archives of IT. Retrieved 16 January 2018.
- The MagPi Issue 4 – Eben and Liz: The interview, August 2012
- Manners, David (11 June 2016). "Eben Upton gets CBE". Electronics Weekly. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- "Welcome Lance!", 25 September 2013, raspberrypi.org
- "Our story", Page 3, Raspberry Pi Foundation
- MacGregor, Alice (25 July 2014). "A slice of Pi: Interview with Raspberry Pi CEO Eben Upton". The Stack. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- "Raspberry Pi (Trading) limited". companieshouse.gov.uk. Companies House. 10 September 2012. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- on YouTube
- on YouTube
- Severance, Charles (2013). "Eben Upton: Raspberry Pi". Computer. 46 (10): 14–16. doi:10.1109/MC.2013.349. ISSN 0018-9162.
- Peplow, Mark (28 February 2015). "Eben Upton: The Raspberry Pi Pioneer". IEEE Spectrum. Retrieved 23 July 2019.
- on YouTube
- Upton, Eben (2006). Compiling with data dependence graphs. cam.ac.uk (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge. OCLC 890157114. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.614108.
- Raspberry Pi: Dr Eben Upton, Inventor
- Eben Upton publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- Eben Upton at DBLP Bibliography Server
- Toye, E.; Sharp, R.; Madhavapeddy, A.; Scott, D.; Upton, E.; Blackwell, A. (2006). "Interacting with mobile services: An evaluation of camera-phones and visual tags". Personal and Ubiquitous Computing. 11 (2): 97. doi:10.1007/s00779-006-0064-9.
- Haggle: Seamless Networking for Mobile Applications in Thomas Strang; John Krumm; Gregory D. Abowd; Aruna Seneviratne (2007). UbiComp 2007: Ubiquitous Computing: 9th International Conference, UbiComp 2007, Innsbruck, Austria, September 16–19, 2007, Proceedings (Lecture Notes in … Applications, incl. Internet/Web, and HCI). Berlin: Springer. ISBN 978-3-540-74852-6.
- Scott, D.; Sharp, R.; Madhavapeddy, A.; Upton, E. (2005). "Using visual tags to bypass Bluetooth device discovery". ACM SIGMOBILE Mobile Computing and Communications Review. 9: 41. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.74.3522. doi:10.1145/1055959.1055965.
- Hymans, C.; Upton, E. (2004). "Static Analysis of Gated Data Dependence Graphs". Static Analysis. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 3148. p. 197. doi:10.1007/978-3-540-27864-1_16. ISBN 978-3-540-22791-5.
- Raspberry Pi interview: Eben Upton reveals all, Gareth Halfacree, Linux User, February 19, 2012
- Upton, Eben; Upton, Clive (2004). Oxford Rhyming Dictionary. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-280115-9.
- Upton, Eben; Gareth Halfacree (2012). Raspberry Pi User Guide. New York: Wiley. ISBN 978-1-118-46446-5.
- Hurley, James (24 June 2013). "Raspberry Pi inventor joins silver medal table". The Telegraph.
- "No. 61608". The London Gazette (Supplement). 11 June 2016. p. B10.