Eberhard I, Count of Berg-Altena
He married Adelheid von Arnsberg (van Cuyck) (died 1200), a daughter of Heinrich I count von Arnsberg (born 1123, died 1185) and Ermengarde (Irmgard) von Freusburg (died 1203).
He inherited the eastern territorium of County of Berg and became the 1st count of Altena from 1161, and Vogt of Werden and Cappenberg (1166–1180). His territories were later divided between his sons Arnold of Altena (the Isenberg, then Limburg line) and Friedrich I of Altena (the Altena, then Marck line).
He left issue:
- Oda (born 1165, died by 1224), married to Simon count von Tecklenburg (k.a.1202). They had issue:
- Otto II count von Teklenburg and
- Oda von Tecklenburg;
- Arnold of Altena (born 1166, died 1209), 1st count of Isenberg;
- Adolf of Altena, Archbishop of Cologne from 1193 until 1205, and between 1212 and 1214 (born 1168, died in Neuss 15 April 1220);
- Friedrich I of Altena (died 1198).
- Genealogische Handbuch des Adels, Gräfliche Häuser A Band II, 1955;
- W. Gf v. Limburg Stirum, "Stamtafel der Graven van Limburg Stirum", 's Gravenhage 1878;
- A.M.H.J. Stokvis, "Manuel d'Histoire, de Genealogie et de Chronologie de tous les États du Globe", Tome III, Leiden 1890-93;
- W. K. Prins v. Isenburg, "Stammtafeln zur Geschichte der Europaischen Staaten", 2. Aufl., Marburg/Lahn, 1953.