||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013)|
Chernik at the 2011 New York Comic Con.
August 30, 1973
|Alma mater||Pratt Institute|
|Notable work||Mage: The Ascension
Vampire: The Masquerade
Echo Chernik (born August 30, 1973 as Heather McKinney) is an American Art Nouveau artist. Her motif is an art nouveau/jugendstil influenced style, with elaborate decorative borders, women (or pin-up girls) with flowing and entwining hair, sometimes accompanied by elaborate typography.
Chernik was born in Ellington, Connecticut. She graduated summa cum laude from Pratt Institute in 1995 with a BFA in Communication Design | Illustration. She is a mainstream advertising and publishing illustrator, best known for advertisements and poster design.
Chernik's early work included interior black and white illustrations for mainstream game companies such as FanPro (Shadowrun), White Wolf Game Studios, Wizards of the Coast and Chaosium. The earliest influences of art nouveau can be found in her works for Mage: The Ascension, developed by Phil Brucato, and Vampire: The Masquerade.
Moving into the mainstream advertising and publishing world, Chernik has worked on campaigns for Camel Cigarettes, Miller Brewing Company, Keystone (beer brand), DeKuyper Liquors, Gran Centenario Plata, Hype Manufacturing (NASCAR), Disney, Regal Cinemas, The State of Illinois Tourism, The City of New Orleans - Mardi Gras logo, Sears, Rocket Dog Shoes, Trek Bicycle Corporation - (Commemorating Lance Armstrong's 5th Consecutive Le Tour de France win). Publishing houses include: Random House Publishers; Penguin Books, whose titles include The Unicorn Chronicles and Color Your own Tarot; and Llewellyn Worldwide (cover art for a Silver Ravenwolf series, among others). Chernik's contributions to music promotion include designing Arlo Guthrie's 40th Anniversary Alice's Restaurant Massacree tour poster, displayed in 2005 at Carnegie Hall; and illustrating a poster for the Dave Matthews Band.
- Alphonse Mucha - A major influence in Echo's early works.
- David Goines - Contemporary, influential poster designer.
- Case Study: Echo Chernik Photoshop Creative Magazine ; Issue 28 pp 24–25
- The Luminary Illustrations of Echo Chernik TalentSpeaks feature article; Author: AJ West; March 2007
- Artpreneurship Author: Ghahramani, Adam; Published: Velegant Media LLC May 2007; Editor: Rogers, Brett D.; pp. 127–131
- Hearing Echo Author: Kozkis, Bob; Summer 2004 South Florida issue; Published: Create Magazine issue #6; Editor: Brown, Jerry; Article: pp. 66–68
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Echo Chernik.|