Echoes of the Goddess
Cover of Echoes of the Goddess
|Cover artist||Stephen Fabian|
|Genre||Fantasy short stories|
|Media type||Print (Paperback)|
|Followed by||The Shattered Goddess|
Echoes of the Goddess: Tales of Terror and Wonder From the End of Time is a collection of fantasy short stories written by Darrell Schweitzer, a prequel to his novel The Shattered Goddess (1983). The book is illustrated with a cover and frontispiece by Stephen Fabian. It was first published as a trade paperback by Wildside Press in February 2013.
The collection consists of a cycle of eleven stories originally published from 1982-1991 in various fantasy and science fiction magazines, together with a prologue original to the collection. Some of the stories were revised for book publication.
- "The Stones Would Weep" (from Fantasy Tales v. 6, no. 12, Win. 1983)
- "The Story of a Dadar" (from Amazing Science Fiction Stories v. 56, no. 1, Jun. 1982)
- "The Diminishing Man" (from Fantasy Book, v. 3, no. 3-4, Sep.-Dec. 1984)
- "A Lantern Maker of Ai Hanlo" (from Amazing Stories v. 58, no. 2, Jul. 1984)
- "Holy Fire" (from Weirdbook 17, 1983)
- "The Stolen Heart" (from Weirdbook 26, Aut. 1991)
- "Immortal Bells" (from Weirdbook 18, 1983)
- "Between Night and Morning" (from Weirdbook 20, Spr. 1985)
- "The Shaper of Animals" (from Amazing Stories v. 62, no. 2, Jul. 1987)
- "Three Brothers" (from Weirdbook 23/24, 1988)
- "Coming of Age in the City of the Goddess" (from Fantasy Book v. 4, no. 2, Jun. 1985)
The stories follow the fortunes of various characters living on a magic-ridden far future Earth in the age of chaotic miracles between the death of the world's latest divinity, the Goddess, and the birth of a new one. Among the protagonists are a wizard's shadow striving to become human, two fratricidal brother sorcerers engaged in a feud lasting centuries, a musician who becomes lord of death, a visionary boy priest, and a witch in love with a god.