Eckerö Church in July 2004
Location of Eckerö in Finland
|Sub-region||Åland Countryside sub-region|
|• Total||752.67 km2 (290.61 sq mi)|
|• Land||107.69 km2 (41.58 sq mi)|
|• Water||644.94 km2 (249.01 sq mi)|
|Area rank||297th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||302nd largest in Finland|
|• Density||8.78/km2 (22.7/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Swedish||90% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||16.3%|
|• 15 to 64||63.6%|
|• 65 or older||20.1%|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||18%|
Eckerö is a municipality of Åland, an autonomous territory under Finnish sovereignty. The municipality has a population of 946 (31 August 2017) and covers an area of 752.67 square kilometres (290.61 sq mi) of which 644.94 km2 (249.01 sq mi) is water. The population density is 8.78 inhabitants per square kilometre (22.7/sq mi).
The municipality is unilingually Swedish and 90% of the population are Swedish speakers. It is the westernmost municipality of Åland and Finland. The company Eckerö Linjen operates a ferry connection between Berghamn in Storby, Eckerö and Grisslehamn on Väddö, Norrtälje in Sweden.
The municipality has previously also been known as Ekkerö in Finnish documents, but is today referred to as "Eckerö" also in Finnish.
Eckerö's most famous building is the Post and Customs house. It is the largest and most impressive building that has been erected to aid the postal services between Stockholm and St. Petersburg. The building was built during the Russian times in 1828 and architect C.L Engel made the construction plans.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, elokuu 2017" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 18 October 2017.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- 707–708 (Pieni Tietosanakirja / I. A – Isonzo)
- http://visitaland.com/postvagen/en/eckero/[permanent dead link] Eckerö Post and Customs house
Media related to Eckerö at Wikimedia Commons
- Eckerö Municipality's official website
- Eckerö travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Eckerö Post and Customs house[permanent dead link]
|This Åland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|