American Champion Two-Year-Old Male Horse
The award originated in 1936 when the Daily Racing Form (DRF) began naming an annual champion. In the same year, the Baltimore-based Turf and Sports Digest magazine instituted a similar award. Starting in 1950, the Thoroughbred Racing Associations (TRA) began naming its own champion. The following list provides the name of the horses chosen by these organizations. Whenever there were different champions named, the horses are listed side-by-side with the one chosen as champion by the Daily Racing Form noted with the letters (DRF), the one chosen by the Thoroughbred Racing Associations by the letters (TRA) and the one chosen by Turf and Sports Digest by the letters (TSD).
The Daily Racing Form, the Thoroughbred Racing Associations, and the National Turf Writers Association all joined forces in 1971 to create the Eclipse Award.
Champions prior to 1936 were selected retrospectively by a panel of experts as published by The Blood-Horse magazine.
Daily Racing Form, Turf & Sport Digest and Thoroughbred Racing Association Awards
Daily Racing Form and Turf & Sport Digest Awards
|1949||Hill Prince (DRF)||Casey Hayes||Christopher Chenery|
|1949||Oil Capitol (TSD)||Harry Trotsek||Thomas Gray & Cora M. Trotsek|
|1948||Blue Peter||Andy Schuttinger||Joseph M. Roebling|
|1947||Citation||Ben & Horace Jones||Calumet Farm|
|1946||Double Jay||Walter L. McCue||James V. Tigani & James Boines|
|1945||Star Pilot||Tom Smith||Maine Chance Farm|
|1944||Pavot||Oscar White||Walter M. Jeffords, Sr.|
|1943||Platter (DRF)||Bert Mulholland||George D. Widener, Jr.|
|1943||Occupy (TSD)||Burley Parke||John Marsch|
|1942||Count Fleet||Don Cameron||Fannie Hertz|
|1941||Alsab||Sarge Swenke||Albert Sabath|
|1940||Whirlaway (TSD)||Ben A. Jones||Calumet Farm|
|1940||Our Boots (DRF)||Steve Judge||Royce G. Martin|
|1939||Bimelech||William A. Hurley||Edward R. Bradley|
|1938||El Chico||Matthew P. Brady||William Ziegler, Jr.|
|1937||Menow||Duval A. Headley||Hal Price Headley|
|1936||Pompoon||Johnny Loftus||Jerome H. Louchheim|
Informal and retrospective awards
- The Eclipse Awards at the Thoroughbred Racing Associations of America, Inc.
- The Bloodhorse.com Champion's history charts
- "Kelso named again as Horse-of-Year". Saskatoon Star-Phoenix. December 6, 1963. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "Kelso selected year's top racing horse". St. Petersburg Times. November 26, 1963. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "Jewel's Reward named top colt of year". Lewiston Evening Journal. December 3, 1957. Retrieved 2012-07-13.
- "Native Dancer chosen top 3-year-old". Youngstown Vindicator. December 3, 1953. Retrieved 2012-07-13.
- "Tom Fool named horse of the year". Calgary Herald. November 14, 1953. Retrieved 2012-07-13.
- "Three champions to race at Hialeah". Miami News. December 14, 1953. Retrieved 2012-07-13.
- "Capot captures horse of the year award for 1949". Toledo Blade. November 28, 1949. Retrieved 2012-07-13.
- "Coaltown is named Horse of the year". Schenectady Gazette. December 13, 1949. Retrieved 2012-07-13.
- "Count Fleet is horse of year". Tuscaloosa News. December 17, 1943. Retrieved 2012-07-13.
- "Challedon is horse of year". Kentucky New Era. December 11, 1940. Retrieved 2012-07-13.