Eclipse Island Lighthouse
Albany, Western Australia
|Year first constructed||1926|
|Tower shape||cylindrical tower with lantern removed in 1976|
|Markings / pattern||unpainted tower, with beacon installed in 1976|
|Height||14 metres (46 ft)|
|Focal height||119 metres (390 ft)|
|Light source||solar power|
|Range||15 nautical miles (28 km; 17 mi)|
|Characteristic||FI (3) W 12s.|
|Managing agent||Australian Maritime Safety Authority|
It was built in 1926 as a cylindrical tower made of concrete. Initially it was a manned station using kerosene as lantern fuel in combination with a first order Fresnel lens. In 1976 the lantern was completely removed though and the optic was put on display at the Western Australian Museum. Today the light is emitted from atop a mast on the lighthouse's concrete trunk. The characteristic is a group of three flashes every twelve seconds from a focal plane at 117 metres (384 ft) above sea level.
Three family quarters made of brick with fibro roofing along with several outbuildings, concrete tanks and bases, generator shed, helipad and a concrete landing can be found around the lighthouse. A trestle based light gauge railway and cable towers are also found in the lighthouse precinct, and was all constructed during the interwar period.
- List of lighthouses and lightvessels in Australia
- List of places on the State Register of Heritage Places in the City of Albany
- Eclipse Island Lighthouse Lighthouse of Australia inc.
- "The New Lighthouse on Eclipse Island.". Sunday Times (Perth, WA : 1902 - 1954). Perth, WA: National Library of Australia. 29 August 1926. p. 1 Section: Second Section. Retrieved 28 April 2013.
- Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of Australia: Western Australia". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 21 July 2008.
- "Heritage Assessment Documentation" (PDF). 2001. Retrieved 11 July 2011.
- Scott, Nuala; Albany Residency Museum (1988), Eclipse Island lighthouse, Albany, Western Australia, Albany Residency Museum, ISBN 978-0-7316-5110-8
- Austin, Stan; Western Australian Museum (2004), Lighthouses of Albany, Western Australian Museum, ISBN 978-1-920843-13-7
- Eclipse Island, Albany, Western Australia : the Australian Maritime Safety Authority lighthouse conservation assessment, The Architects, 2000, retrieved 28 April 2013
- "The new lighthouse on Eclipse Island". Sunday Times. Perth, Western Australia: National Library of Australia. 29 August 1926. p. 1 Section: Second Section. Retrieved 13 April 2011.
- Eclipse Island Lighthouse Lighthouses of Australia Inc.
|This Australian lighthouse-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|