||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Industry||Patent and commercial translations, patent searches, patent database|
|Founded||1961 (as Woolcott & Co.)|
|Headquarters||Chalfont St Peter, Buckinghamshire, U.K.|
|Andrew Brode, Chairman|
Number of employees
|Parent||RWS Holdings plc|
RWS Group provides intellectual property translation, filing and search services, and technical and commercial translation and localisation.
With roots dating back more than 50 years, the RWS Group was created from a merger between M.H. Randall & Partners (a specialist translation company) and Woolcott & Co (a specialist patent and technical information searching company) in 1982. RWS Translations Ltd and RWS Information Ltd were ISO 9000 Accredited in 1992. In 2005 it acquired Eclipse Translations, a company formed in December 1996 and now operating as a Limited Company within the RWS Group. In 2015, RWS Holdings acquired Corporate Translations Inc. (CTi), a Connecticut-based life sciences translation and linguistic validation provider for a $70 million in cash.  In 2017, RWS Holdings acquired LUZ, Inc., a US-based life sciences language services provider for $82.5 million. The company raised £40m by issuing 12.1m ordinary shares with the rest funded by a $26.3m banking facility with Barclays Bank.
RWS Group headquarters are based in Chalfont St Peter, Buckinghamshire, UK. Its Information Division is based in Tavistock Square, London. The Group has production sites in Germany, Japan and China, and offices in France, Sweden, Switzerland and the USA.
- Eclipse Translations, based in Alnwick, Northumberland.
- PharmaQuest, based in Banbury, Oxfordshire.
- RWS Group Deutschland GmbH, based in Berlin.
- RWS Group Switzerland LLC, based in Basel, Switzerland.
- inovia, based in New York City, United States.
RWS is a leading provider of intellectual property support services and high level technical, legal and financial translation services. The group ranked 11th of Common Sense Advisory's Top 35 language service providers in 2010, translating over 65,000 patents and intellectual property related documents each year. It addresses a blue-chip multinational client base from Europe, North America, Japan and China active in patent filing in the medical, pharmaceutical, chemical, aerospace, defence, automotive and telecoms industries, as well as patent agents acting on behalf of such clients. The Group has two principal business activities; Translations, which incorporates patent, commercial and technical translation services, and Information, which includes a comprehensive range of patent search, retrieval and monitoring services as well as PatBase  (developed in partnership with Minesoft Ltd) , a searchable commercial patent database, available as a subscription service. The subsidiaries in Germany and Switzerland are leading providers for translation, localization and terminology services for technical, commercial and legal material.
Eclipse works in:
- Translation: the principal area of activity is translation. Eclipse services contracts with a number of government agencies, large corporate clients and SMEs both locally and throughout The Americas and Europe. Eclipse translates into over 200 language combinations
- Interpretation: Eclipse provides face to face, conference, video and telephone interpretation services in areas such as business, social, medical, court and police
- Localisation of software, documentation and website (SEO optimization)
- Language training solution incorporating a long-term strategy of language training provision and business culture training
- Other communication support services such as Braille, BSL etc.
- The Group: has won "The Queen's Award for Enterprise: International Trade 2015" for the fifth time; 2015, 2009, 2004, 1987 and 1984 
- Eclipse: winner of the Regional Final of the NE Business Awards 2007 in the Services category 
- Eclipse Translations Ltd sponsor of the Northumberland Coastal Run 
- "About Us: Company History". RWS Group. Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- "PharmaQuest". Corporate Translation Inc. Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- "Historie" [History]. RWS-Group (in German). Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- "Historie" [History]. RWS-Group (in Swiss German). Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- "Locations". inovia. Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- Kelly, Nataly; Stewart, Robert G. (2010). "The Top 35 Language Service Providers". Common Sense Advisory. Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- North East Business Awards Regional Winners 2007
- Northumberland Gazette Coastal Run