EMLYON Business School
|Type||Private business school|
|Affiliation||CGE, AACSB, EQUIS, AMBA, Alliance Lyon Grenoble Business School|
|113 (105 also researchers)|
|Location||Écully, Paris, and Saint-Étienne, France
emlyon business school is a French leading business school. It was founded in Lyon, France in 1872 by the local business community, and is affiliated to the Lyon Chamber of Commerce and Industry. It has triple accreditation: EQUIS by the EFMD, AMBA, and the AACSB. Its Msc in Management (Grande Ecole program) is currently ranked 11th worldwide and its MBA program is currently ranked 92 worldwide, according to the Financial Times. It is widely known as one of the top Grande écoles in France.
emlyon has 5 campuses currently: the Lyon campus, the Saint-Étienne campus, the Shanghai campus (2007), the Casablanca campus (2015), the Paris campus and the Shanghai campus co-established by emlyon and ECNU - Asia-Europe Business School (AEBS) (2016).
The school was created in 1872, nine years before HEC Paris. It is the fourth Business school in France created after ESCP Europe, École supérieure de commerce de Rouen and École de management de Normandie.
The first name of the school was ESCAE Lyon, then École supérieure de commerce de Lyon (ESCL), then changed to EM Lyon in 1997, for the 125th anniversary of the school. The final name, emlyon business school, was chosen in 2005.
At the end of March 2016, emlyon business school and Grenoble School of Management announce their alliance, the Alliance Lyon Grenoble Business School, centered on innovation, entrepreneurship, growth and new business.
For many years, emlyon has developed partnerships with Chinese universities. A "Master en Administration des Affaires de Canton" (Master of Business Administration) in collaboration with the "Université Lyon-III" (Jean Moulin University Lyon 3) and the Lingnan College (part of the Sun Yat-sen University) was launched in 1997. It is a fully French speaking Master, which has been awarded in 2004 by the Chinese Ministry of Education. EMLYON opened an office in Shanghai in 2000 and a new campus in September 2007 within the campus of the East China Normal University. The Casablanca campus was inaugurated in 2015. In 2016, EMLYON opened its latest campus in the heart of Paris.
Instruction at emlyon focuses on three areas: Internationalisation, Entrepreneurship and Social Responsibility.
Programmes of emlyon include the following:
- An 4 years Undergraduate Bachelor in Business Administration program opened in 2014 in Saint-Etienne.
- Dual degree programme with Glendon College, earning an iB.A. in International Studies from Glendon and a B.B.A. from emlyon, completed in four years.
- MSc in Management - European Triple Degree - Programme Grande Ecole (or European Triple Degree) in cooperation with 2 world leading business schools : Lancaster University Management School and Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich
- MSc in Management, Programme Grande Ecole, for students from the French "classes préparatoires" or French and international students with a bachelor's degree
- Double Degree with HEC Montreal, leading to a Bachelor's from the Canadian school and a M.Sc in Management from emlyon in only 4 years 
- MSc in Luxury Management & Marketing
- MSc in Sports & Outdoor Industry Management
- MSc in Innovation, Design, Entrepreneurship & Arts (I.D.E.A. - in cooperation with Centrale Lyon)
- Global Entrepreneurship Program (in cooperation with Purdue University and Zhejiang University)
- Specialised Masters programmes, in 12 different fields
- International MBA
- Executive programmes
- Entrepreneurship programmes
- PhD in Management programme
- MOOCs in entrepreneurship and design thinking
- Financial Times: 14th Business School in Europe (European Business School Rankings 2014), 92nd MBA Worldwide (Global MBA Ranking 2013)
- The Economist: 4th MBA in France, 75th MBA Worldwide (Full Time MBA Ranking, 2015)
- Le Point: 2nd Master in Management in France (2016)
- Le Figaro: 4th Business School in France (November 2015)
- Challenges: 4th Business School in France (January 2016)
- Eduniversal: 4th Business School in France with 5 Palms of Excellence (2015)
emlyon business school hosts the student association called the Petit Paumé, which is the second biggest student association of France in terms of financial means. emlyon business school also hosts the event called "Le défi de Bacchus" which is the biggest wine-testing competition in Europe, gathering students and professionals. A competition well known for the degustation of French "grands crus" such as Château d'Yquem and because the restaurants where this event takes place are always Michelin starred.
- EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System)
- AMBA (Association of MBAs)
- AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business)
Notable alumni of EMLYON
- Stéphane Bern (ESC 1985), journalist, radio host, and French TV presenter
- Eric Bouvier, French male volleyball player
- André Ferrand, French politician
- Bernard Fornas (ESC 1970), President and CEO, Cartier International
- Brice Fournier, French actor
- César Giron (ESC 1987), CEO, Pernod
- Marc Ouayoun (ESC 1995), Managing director, Porsche France
- Philippe Marcel (ESC 1976), President, Adecco France
- Fabrice Ducceschi (ESC 1986), President, Nike France
- Christian Nibourel (IMBA 1982), President, Accenture Western Europe
- Gwendal Peizerat (ESC 1998), French former competitive ice dancer
- Jean Proriol, French politician
- Vincent Prolongeau (ESC 1987), Managing director, Tropicana
- Jean-Pascal Tricoire (MBA 1986), CEO of Schneider Electric
- Masters in Management 2013
- Global MBA Ranking 2013
- (in French)Palmarès des écoles de commerce - 2014
- (in French)Challenges : classement 2014 des écoles de commerce
- (in French)Les préférences des candidats
- EMLYON partners with East China Normal University to create Asia-Europe Business School
- International Focus
- European Master in Management track MSc in Management
- MSc in Management The Right Programme To Tailor Your Career Plans
- (in French)EMLyon Business School, Lyon
- MSc in Luxury Management & Marketing Become The Luxury Expert Companies Want To Recruit
- MSc in Sports Industry Management Matching Your Talent With The Industry’s Specific Needs
- Global Entrepreneurship Program For An Entrepreneurial Approach And A Global Mindset
- Specialised Masters Become an expert & a manager
- International MBA The Right MBA for Entrepreneurial Leaders
- Executive Development
- Programmes for entrepreneurs
- PhD Programme
- (in French)EMLyon : des MOOCs sur l'entreprenariat et l'innovation
- European Business School Rankings 2014
- Global MBA Ranking 2013
- Full time MBA ranking
- (in French)
- (in French)Palmarès des écoles de commerce - 2015
- (in French)
- (in French)
- (in French)Palmarès 2014 des meilleures associations étudiantes