Economic Development Board
Logo of the EDB
|Formed||1 August 1961|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Singapore|
|Headquarters||250 North Bridge Road, #28-00, Raffles City Tower, Singapore 179101|
|Parent agency||Ministry of Trade and Industry|
The Economic Development Board (EDB) (Malay: Lembaga Pembangunan Ekonomi) is a statutory board of the Government of Singapore that plans and executes strategies to sustain Singapore as a leading global hub for business and investment.
The EDB is the lead government agency for planning and executing strategies to enhance Singapore's position as a global business centre and grow the Singapore economy. It is responsible for designing and delivering solutions that create value for investors and companies in Singapore. In this way, EDB seeks to create economic opportunities and jobs for the people of Singapore, and help shape Singapore's economic future.
The EDB maintains 18 international offices in 12 countries (China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States & Brazil).
In November 2020, EDB announced plans to launch a new working visa Tech.Pass starting from January 2021 to attract more high calibre talent into the country. 500 permits will be issued on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Some of the more notable figures in the Singapore government, business and the community circles have been associated with the EDB as Board members or staff are:
- Political & Public Service
- Lim Swee Say, Minister Prime Minister's Office
- Philip Yeo; Special Advisor for Economic Development (Prime Minister's Office), Chairman SPRING Singapore
- Lee Yi Shyan, Minister of State (Trade & Industry, Manpower)
- Josephine Teo, Minister of State (Finance, Transport)
- Dr Tan Chin Nam, Chairman Media Development Authority
- Teo Ming Kian, Permanent Secretary (Finance, National Research & Development)
- Ho Meng Kit, Deputy Secretary (Management, MFA)
- Chong Lit Cheong, CEO, International Enterprise Singapore
- Aw Kah Peng, Chief Executive, Singapore Tourism Board
- Manohar Khiatani, CEO, JTC Corporation
- Png Cheong Boon, CEO, SPRING Singapore
- Lee Suan Hiang, CEO, National Arts Council
- Liew Heng San, CEO, Central Provident Fund Board
- Chua Taik Him, Deputy CEO, International Enterprise Singapore
- Baey Yam Keng, MP (Tanjong Pagar)
- Yeo Cheow Tong, MP (Hong Kah)
- Business and the community
- S Dhanabalan, Chairman Temasek Holdings
- Lim Siong Guan, Group President Government of Singapore Investment Corporation Private Limited (GIC)
- Wong Ngit Liong, Chairman & CEO Venture Corporation Limited; Chairman NUS Board of Trustees till 31 December 2016
- Gong Wee Lik, Centric Director (Membership Communities), NTUC
- Loh Wai Kiew, CEO/Vice President, Shell Marine Products
- "DesignSingapore Council to transfer to EDB under MTI to drive design innovation across industries and enable growth beyond Singapore". MCI. 1 November 2018. Retrieved 24 September 2019.
- "DesignSingapore Council to become EDB agency to help local companies expand beyond Singapore". The Straits Times. 1 November 2018. Retrieved 30 June 2019.
- "Singapore to Issue Tech Pass Visa in 2021: Key Features". ASEAN Business News. 19 November 2020. Retrieved 7 December 2020.
- "NUS Chairman Wong Ngit Liong to step down, succeeded by Hsieh Fu Hua". news.nus.edu.sg. National University of Singapore. Retrieved 26 October 2016.