Economy of Mangalore
Industrial and commercial activities dominate Mangalore's economy. It is the only city in Karnataka to have all modes of transport - Air, Road, Rail and Sea. The fastest growing non metro (Indian city of population less than 1 million) in South India is Mangalore. Mangalore is the 2nd largest business centre in Karnataka.
Around 75% of India's coffee, timber and cashew nuts exports are handled by the New Mangalore Port. Mangalore is one among the only 5 cities in the country to have both a Major Port and an International Airport. Mangalore has some of the tallest buildings in South India, with many more under construction. Mangalore International Airport is among the 2 International Airports in Karnataka, along with Bangalore International Airport.
- 1 Petrochemicals and processing
- 2 Logistics
- 3 Ship building
- 4 IT and IT enabled services
- 5 Manufacturing industries
- 6 Real estate
- 7 Banking and finance
- 8 Food processing
- 9 Cruise tourism
- 10 Shopping malls
- 11 Startups
- 12 Research and development (R&D) centres
- 13 Special Economic Zones
- 14 Fishing
- 15 Traditional commerce and industry
- 16 Healthcare services
- 17 References
Petrochemicals and processing
BASF, Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals Ltd. (MRPL), Mangalore Chemicals and Fertilizers Ltd. (MCF), Kudremukh Iron Ore Company Ltd. (KIOCL), Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL), Bharat Petroleum Corporation Plant (BPCL), JBF Petrochemicals and Total Oil are the major petrochemicals and processing industries in Mangalore. One of the largest SEZ's in India, the ONGC - Mangalore Special Economic Zone is in Mangalore. MRPL, the only refinery in the state, will soon get a Navaratna Status. Mangalore Chemicals & Fertilizers (MCF), the only fertilizer factory in the state, is situated at Baikampady. HPCL has its oil refinery at Mangalore. BPCL has established an LPG plant near the New Mangalore Port. BASF has established a Research and development (R&D) centre at Mangalore.
At the Mangalore Special Economic Zone, in a new 15 million tonne refinery, petrochemical plant and power and LNG plants, The Oil and Natural Gas Corporation(ONGC) plans to invest over Rs. 35,000 crore. Of the country, this will be the first Petroleum, Chemicals, Petrochemicals Investment Region (PCPIR). India has built 5.33 million tons of strategic crude oil storages at Mangalore, Padur (near Udupi) in Karnataka and at Visakhapatnam to ensure energy security. Mitsui, a Japanese conglomerate has planned to setup an LNG terminal in Mangalore.
The table below lists some of the Logistics companies situated in Mangalore.
|Interlog Services||Orleans, France|
|Seaways Shipping and Logistics Ltd.||Hyderabad, India|
|Delta Infralogistics (worldwide) Ltd.||Mangalore|
Bharati Shipyard Ltd (BSL) has established its ship building site near Tannirbavi in Mangalore. Mangalore is the 6th shipyard established by BSL. Cargo ships are built here which have a maximum length of 120 meters. BSL's subsidiary, Tebma Shipyard has a ship manufacturing site at Malpe, which is 56 km from Mangalore city.
IT and IT enabled services
|Cognizant Technology Solutions|
|Endurance International Group|
|Atlantic Data Bureau Services|
|Planet Synergy Inc.||Planet Synergy Inc., Georgia|
|Bolas Intelli Solutions||-|
|Code Craft Technologies||-|
|Sourcepage Technologies||Sourcepage, Florida|
|Invenger Technologies||Invenger, California|
|Diya Systems||GlowTouch Technologies, Kentucky|
|Karanji Infotech Pvt. Ltd.||-|
|UniCourt India (previously Mangalore InfoTech)||-|
Due to the quality education provided by the educational institutes in the city, it has also given birth to multiple IT startup companies. To over 15,000 IT professionals and more than 55 companies, Mangalore is home.
Soorya Infratech Park
Soorya Infratech Park is located at Mudipu, 16 km from Mangalore city centre. It is located beside Infosys Mangalore campus with an area of 2.4 lakh square feet. Currently there is one company functioning from the IT Park.
Sequent Scientific Ltd. is a Pharmaceutical company, and has its manufacturing unit at Baikampady in Mangalore. Syngene International, a contract research arm of Biocon, has planned to setup a manufacturing plant at Mangalore SEZ.
Wind energy turbines
Candle manufacturing industry
Mangalore has been making progress in the Real Estate sector. In recent years, various builders such as Mohtisham, Bhandary, Inland, Westline, Marian, Raheja, Prestige Group, Larsen & Toubro and Brigade Group have built various skyscrapers in Mangalore city.
The various buildings in Mangalore city exceeding 90 meters in height are
|1||Planet SKS||40||Kadri Hills||2016||140 metres (459 ft)||Completed|
|2||Northern Sky City Tower A||32||Pumpwell||2016||112 metres (367 ft)||Completed|
|3||Menorah Alexandria||27||Light House Hill||2016||95 metres (312 ft)||Completed|
|4||Inland Windsors||26||Mary Hill||2012||91 metres (299 ft)||Completed|
|5||Brigade Pinnacle||26||Derebail||2015||91 metres (299 ft)||Completed|
|6||Raheja Pacific||26||Kulai||2015||91 metres (299 ft)||Completed|
|7||Bhandary Vertica||56||Kadri||2020||196 metres (643 ft)||Under construction|
|8||Westline Signature||53||Nanthoor||2020||186 metres (610 ft)||Under construction|
|9||Presidency Marvel||40||Pumpwell||2021||141 metres (463 ft)||Under construction|
|10||Marian Crown||38||Padavu||2021||134 metres (440 ft)||Under construction|
Banking and finance
Five of the nineteen banks nationalised during the first half of the 20th century were established in Mangalore.
|Bank||Founded||Founded by||Head Office (present)|
|Karnataka Bank||1924||Suryanarayana Adiga||Mangalore|
|Corporation Bank||1906||Khan Bahadur Haji Abdulla||Mangalore|
|Canara Bank||1906||Ammembal Subba Rao Pai||Bangalore|
|Syndicate Bank||1925||T. M. A. Pai||Manipal|
|Vijaya Bank||1931||A. B. Shetty||Bangalore|
Karnataka Bank was established on 18th February 1924 in Mangalore. In addition to these, two banks were established in nearby towns. Corporation Bank was founded in Udupi by Khan Bahadur Haji Abdulla Haji Kasim Saheb Bahadur in 1906, and Syndicate Bank was co-founded in Manipal by T M A Pai, Upendra Ananth Pai, and the Mangalorean V S Kudva in 1925. While Karnataka Bank and Corporation Bank are still headquartered in Mangalore, Vijaya Bank and Canara Bank are headquartered in Bangalore and Syndicate Bank is headquartered in Manipal.
The Mangalore Stock Exchange (MgSE) was incorporated on 31 July 1984 as a public limited company. The company was granted recognition as a stock exchange on September 9, 1985. It was de-recognised by the SEBI on 31 August 2004. Appeals by the Stock Exchange to overrule this order have been subsequently rejected on 2 November 2005 and 4 October 2006.
Campco has its chocolate manufacturing plant at Puttur near Mangalore. The plant produces chocolates and other products of cocoa both under its own brand and also for Nestle. Achal Industries has built its cashew processing plant at the Baikampady Industrial Estate in Mangalore.
Various cruise ships such as Regent Seven Seas, Norwegian Star, Oceania, Celebrity, Costa, AIDA, Nautica and Royal Caribbean International have visited the New Mangalore Port. Foreigners can enter Mangalore through the New Mangalore Port with the help of Electronic visa (e-visa). Cruise ships from Europe, North America and UAE arrive at New Mangalore Port to promote tourism around Mangalore.
Replacing traditional shopping complexes, Mangalore's retail space has gone for a change with several malls being set up in the city, in recent times. There are multiple Malls in pipeline, such as Forum Fiza Mall, City Centre Mall, Empire Mall and Bharath Mall. The biggest mall in Mangalore is Lotus Mall, with a total built-up area of 12.7 lakh sq ft and a GLA of 9 lakh sq ft.
|Forum Fiza Mall||Pandeshwar||686,892||Operational|
|City Centre Mall||K.S. Rao Road||540,000||Operational|
|Empire Mall||M.G. Road||125,000||Operational|
|Excel-Mischief Mega Mall||K.S. Rao Road||-||Operational|
|Lotus Shopping Centre||Bikarnakatta||900,000||Under Construction|
|Golden Harvest Mall||-||Proposed|
|Mangalore Central Mall||-||Proposed|
Government of India has planned to make Mangalore the first startup district in the country with 20 tinkering labs and incubation centres. The startups aim at providing solutions in agriculture, health, education and information technology.
Research and development (R&D) centres
There are 3 Research and Development (R&D) centres near Mangalore. They are
- BASF - located at Katipalla
- Central Plantation Crops Research Institute (CPCRI) - located at Vitla
- National Research Centre for Cashew (NRCC) - located at Puttur
Special Economic Zones
|Location||Status||Name of Promoter|
|Multi Product Special Economic Zone - 588 hectares||Attracted Rs.13,000 crores till date with exports from units exceeding Rs.2,500 crores.||Mangalore SEZ Ltd.|
|Infosys - IT&ITES SEZ - 125 hectares||Notified and 1st phase operational||Infosys Tech. Ltd.|
|Thumbay, Bantwal, Dakshina Kannada District - IT/ITES SEZ - 10 hectares||Formal approval and notified. Under Implementation.||B.A.Tech Park Pvt. Ltd.|
|KIADB - IT&ITES SEZ - 203 hectares||Formal approval||Karnataka Industrial Areas Development Board|
|EPIP Indl.Area, Ganjimutt, Mangalore - IT/ITES SEZ - 10 hectares||Formal approval||Nitesh Estates Private Limited|
|EPIP Indl.Area, Ganjimutt, Mangalore - IT/ITES SEZ - 10 hectares||Formal approval||Brigade Enterprises Private Limited|
|EPIP Indl.Area, Ganjimutt, Mangalore - IT/ITES SEZ - 10 hectares||Formal approval||Kinfotech Software Pvt. Ltd.|
|Padubidre, Udupi District. - Hi-tech Engineering SEZ - 259 hectares||Notified and 1st phase operational.||Suzlon Infrastructure Ltd.|
Fish is one of the widely consumed food in Mangalore. Old Mangalore Port is the fishing port in Mangalore. The city has an ice factory on the banks of Netravati river and fish meal processing industries.
Traditional commerce and industry
Although the tile industry has been in decline due to the predominance of concrete in modern construction, Mangalore tiles were exported to East Asia, Europe, Australia, Africa, and the Middle East.
|Wenlock District Hospital|
|Father Muller Hospital|
|K. M. C. Hospital|
|K S Hegde Hospital|
|A. J. Hospital|
|Indiana Hospital & Heart Institute|
|Government Lady Goschen Hospital|
|S. C. S. Hospital|
|E. S. I Hospital|
- "Sector Specific Inventory & Institutional Strengthening for PPP Mainstreaming - Directorate of Urban Land Transport" (PDF). Deloitte. Retrieved 2017-01-01.
- Metropolitan area#India
- List of most populous metropolitan areas in India
- List of most populous cities in India
- "Mangalore at 13th place". News Digest. Retrieved 27 December 2016.
- "Mangalore takes over as new SEZ destination". The Economic Times. 2008-02-17. Retrieved 2008-04-22.
- "Mangaluru: Foundation stone laid for South India's tallest tower 'Westline Signature'". Daijiworld.com. 2016-09-18. Retrieved 2016-12-28.
- "Mangalore Airport Traffic up by 92% Surpasses Mumbai Bangalore Chennai". Daijiworld.com. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "JBF Industries' subsidiary enters into long term agreement with ONGC Mangalore Petrochemicals". Business Standard. 15 April 2016. Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- "Total Oil opens second LPG facility at New Mangalore". Business Line. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "MRPL now a Schedule A company, to be entitled to more benefits". The Economic Times. 31 December 2016. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- "HPCL might go solo on its Rs 700-cr LPG cavern in Mangalore". Business Standard. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Remain positive on HPCL's refining cycle: Nomura". The Financial Express. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "BPCL to set up green bio-fuel refinery". The Times of India. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Chemical giant BASF to expand India footprint". Hindustan Times. 22 November 2011. Retrieved 7 February 2017.
- "BASF gives Rs 17 crore boost to India business". Daily News and Analysis. 8 March 2014. Retrieved 7 February 2017.
- "ONGC's huge outlay for Mangalore SEZ". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 19 September 2006. Retrieved 29 September 2006.
- "'India receives 1st parcel of Iranian oil for strategic storage'". The Economic Times. 12 October 2016. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- "'Strategic storage of crude begins at Mangaluru cavern'". Business Standard. 12 October 2016. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- "'India Gets First Iranian Oil Parcel For Emergency Reserves'". NDTV Profit. 12 October 2016. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- "'ONGC ties up with BPCL, Mitsui to set up LNG terminal at Mangalore'". Business Standard. 12 October 2016. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Mangaluru: Second office of Interlog Services opens at Mangalore Internet City". Daijiworld. 18 September 2016. Retrieved 12 December 2016.
- "French logistic firm to open office in Mangaluru". The Times of India. 15 September 2016. Retrieved 12 December 2016.
- "Interlog Services - Our Locations". Retrieved 26 December 2016.
- "Seaways Group - Branch Offices". Retrieved 26 December 2016.
- "Delta Infralogistics (worldwide) Ltd - Contact Us". Retrieved 26 December 2016.
- "Mangalore: Bharati Becomes First Shipyard to Enter Dakshina Kannada". Retrieved 27 December 2016.
- "Banks approve Bharati Shipyard CDR package". Retrieved 27 December 2016.
- "Research vessel flagged off from Malpe". Retrieved 27 December 2016.
- "Cognizant to enlarge IT SEZ by 50%". Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- "Cognizant to acquire CoreLogic India unit for $50 m". Business Line. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- "Endurance International Group - Our Offices". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Endurance International Group - Locations". Retrieved 3 January 2017.
- "Riskonnect - About". Retrieved 3 January 2017.
- "Get in touch | Perform Group". Perform Group. Retrieved 10 October 2016.
- "Vecima Networks - Facilities". Retrieved 3 January 2017.
- "Mangalore: Atlantic Data Bureau Services inaugurates new office". Daijiworld. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- "Mangaluru to host its first hackathon on Sunday". The Times of India. 15 October 2015. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Mangalore-based tech start-up bets big on apps development". The Hindu Business Line. 7 March 2013. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "Sourcepage Technologies Privated Limited". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "GST to create Rs 36,000 crore software market in MSME segment". The Times of India. 7 February 2017. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- "Winman Software - About Us - Company". Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- "Karanji Infotech Pvt. Ltd - Services". Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Mangalore: IT company Kiran Technologies inaugrated". Daijiworld. 22 December 2013. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- "Dakshina Kannada takes Next Step to become Startup Capital of India". Bangalore Mirror. 13 March 2017. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "The IT ship drops anchor in Mangalore". Daily News and Analysis. 21 November 2010. Retrieved 17 June 2014.
- "Perform Group - Mangalore Visit". Retrieved 3 January 2017.
- "Sequent Scientific to acquire Arvee Synthesis". Business Standard. 23 May 2014. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- "Syngene plans $100 mn manufacturing facility in Mangalore". Business Standard. 1 September 2015. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
- "Syngene lines up $200 million capex to boost manufacturing". Economic Times. 22 July 2016. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
- "Suzlon to make REpower turbines at Mangalore plant". Business Line. 25 March 2016. Retrieved 27 December 2016.
- "Scented candle manufacturer diversifies into aerosol production in Mangalore". Business Line. 13 January 2014. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- "Primacy Industries Ltd - About". Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- "Realty boom continues in Mangalore". The Hindu. 19 February 2013. Retrieved 26 December 2016.
- "Real estate expo in Mangalore". The Hindu. 22 August 2012. Retrieved 26 December 2016.
- "Karnataka's tallest residential building 'Planet SKS' gets ready for inauguration". NewsKarnataka. 9 March 2016. Retrieved 26 December 2016.
- "Inland Windsors, Mangalore's tallest residential tower Inaugurated". NewsKarnataka. 27 May 2014. Retrieved 26 December 2016.
- "Karnataka Bank - History". Karnataka Bank. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "History". Corporation Bank. Retrieved 31 December 2016.
- "Corporation Bank - Contact Us". Corporation Bank. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "Cheque truncation process from April, says Leeladhar". The Hindu. 20 November 2005. Archived from the original on 14 March 2012. Retrieved 31 December 2016.
- "Mangalore Stock Exchange (MgSE)". SurfIndia (A premier directory on India). Retrieved 2008-02-21.
- "SEBI derecognises Mangalore Stock Exchange". India Info. 2004-09-01. Retrieved 2008-02-22.
- "Appeal No.158 of 2004". SEBI. Retrieved 2008-02-22.
- "Appeal No.158 of 2004". SEBI. Retrieved 2008-02-22.
- "Indian arecanut sample gets quality approval from Chinese company". The Hindu Business Line. 15 February 2017. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "CAMPCO to release Dark Tan chocolate on September 14". The Hindu. 12 September 2016. Retrieved 27 December 2016.
- "Cashew kernel prices fall in wholesale markets". Business Standard. 20 March 2013. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- "First cruise ship of the fiscal calls at New Mangalore Port". Business Line. 1 April 2012. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Dubai Tourism commemorates inaugural visit of Celebrity Constellation". Travel Daily Media. 2 December 2016. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Foreigners can enter India through five ports on e-visa". The Hindu. Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- "Nautica and Norwegian Star cruise through M'luru coast". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 2016-12-03.
- "Aida Aura arrives in Mangaluru". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 2016-12-03.
- "Transit One: Heralding the concept of theme-based malls in Mangaluru". Daijiworld. 17 August 2015. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "Forum Mall goes Wi-Fi". The Hindu. 27 October 2015. Retrieved 1 January 2017.
- "Mangaloreans to get taste of international shopping experience soon". The Times of India. 19 January 2014. Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- "Government plans first startup district with incubators". The Times of India. 10 February 2017. Retrieved 8 April 2017.
- "Mangaluru likely to be the first startup district in the country". The New Indian Express. 31 March 2017. Retrieved 8 April 2017.
- "Government plans first startup district with incubators". Economic Times. 10 February 2017. Retrieved 8 April 2017.
- "CPCRI - Regional station - Vittal". Retrieved 27 December 2016.
- "ICAR-Directorate of Cashew Research, Puttur - Indian Council of Agricultural Research" (PDF). Retrieved 27 December 2016.
- "Special Economic Zones in India". Archived from the original on April 19, 2009. Retrieved June 14, 2009.
- "Welcome to Mangalore SEZ Limited, India". Mangaloresez.com. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- Infosys Limited. "Contact". Infosys. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Tech Park SEZ - The B. A. Group - Thumbay". Archived from the original on February 1, 2010. Retrieved December 12, 2010.
- "DIC". Karnatakaindustry.gov.in. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Flavours from the coast". The Hindu. 30 March 2017. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "8% rise in fish catch in Udupi, Dakshina Kannada". The Hindu Business Line. 7 June 2013. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "Mukka Seafood Industries Pvt. Ltd.". Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- "Mangalore Tiles Crown Victoria Terminus". Daijiworld Media Pvt Ltd Mangalore. 2005-06-21. Retrieved 27 December 2016.
- "'National 'Kaju summit,' 'cashew tech' on Mar 14, 15'". Deccan Herald. 4 March 2015. Retrieved 31 December 2016.
- "'NABH grants accreditation to Father Muller Medical College Hospital'". The Times of India. 8 August 2015. Retrieved 31 December 2016.
- "'KMC's new facility to open today'". The Hindu. 25 December 2016. Retrieved 31 December 2016.
- "'Lady Goschen hospital building to be inaugurated on March 23'". The Hindu. 10 December 2016. Retrieved 31 December 2016.
- "'Mangaluru: Fully-equipped Mangala Eye Foundation inaugurated'". Daijiworld. 30 January 2016. Retrieved 31 December 2016.