|Small Engrailed (E. crepuscularia sensu stricto)
Scale in centimeters
Denis & Schiffermüller, 1775
|About 100 species|
Ectropis is a genus in the geometer moth family (Geometridae). They are mostly paleotropical, but also plentiful in Australia and extend into Asia. Only one species – or cryptic species complex – (The Engrailed/Small Engrailed, E. bistortata/E. crepuscularia) is found in Europe. There are about 100 known species in this genus altogether.
Systematics and taxonomy
All junior synonyms of Ectropis use G. crepuscularia as type species, and thus, even though this large genus might warrant subgeneric division, no names are presently available. Apart from Tephrosia, established by J.B. Boisduval in 1840, the synonyms are also junior homonyms and consequently completely invalid.
One of them, Coenobita, was proposed by J. Gistl in 1848. Gistl was unaware that J. Hübner had described the genus Ectropis, but he knew of Boisduval's Tephrosia. However, Gistl misread the name of the spider genus Theraphosa (established by C.A. Walckenaer in 1805) as Tephrosia, and thus came to believe that Tephrosia was in need of a new name. He chose Coenobita, which to his misfortune had been given to a genus of hermit crabs by Latreille in 1829 already.
The other preoccupied synonym, Boarmia, had earlier been given to closely related moths. That group is now included in Hypomecis, which thus has become the type genus of the tribe Boarmiini in the geometer moth subfamily Ennominae. Ectropis is also a member of the Boarmiini.
- Pitkin & Jenkins (2004c), ABRS (2010), FE (2011)
- Pitkin & Jenkins (2004abc)
- Pitkin & Jenkins (2004b)
- Pitkin & Jenkins (2004a), FE (2011)
- ABRS (2010), and see references in Savela (2010)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ectropis.|
- Australian Biological Resources Study (ABRS) (2010): Australian Faunal Directory – Ectropis. Version of 2010-MAY-28. Retrieved 2011-APR-21.
- Fauna Europaea (FE) (2011): Ectropis. Version 2.4, 2011-JAN-27. Retrieved 2011-APR-21.
- Pitkin, Brian & Jenkins, Paul (2004a): Butterflies and Moths of the World, Generic Names and their Type-species – Boarmia Stephens, 1829. Version of 2004-NOV-05. Retrieved 2011-APR-21.
- Pitkin, Brian & Jenkins, Paul (2004b): Butterflies and Moths of the World, Generic Names and their Type-species – Coenobita Gistl, 1848. Version of 2004-NOV-05. Retrieved 2011-APR-21.
- Pitkin, Brian & Jenkins, Paul (2004c): Butterflies and Moths of the World, Generic Names and their Type-species – Ectropis. Version of 2004-NOV-05. Retrieved 2011-APR-21.
- Savela, Markku (2010): Markku Savela's Lepidoptera and some other life forms – Ectropis. Version of 2010-JUL-04. Retrieved 2011-APR-21.