|Slogan||Conocimiento con todos y para todos
(English: Knowledge with everyone and for everyone)
|Registration||Optional (required to edit pages)|
|Launched||August, 2009 (Test phase)
December 14, 2010 (Official launch)
EcuRed is an online encyclopedia from Cuba built on MediaWiki software. Launched on December 13, 2010, the site, which hosts over 136,000 reference articles, biographies and academic works, aims to share Cuba's vision of the world.
EcuRed as a Cuban encyclopedia originated from the need to provide universal knowledge in the Internet domain ".cu" and make it accessible to the vast majority of Cubans, better after in 2015 the Cuban government created 35 Wi Fi zones in the mains cities of the country, and down the prizes for the Nauta Service (provide by ETECSA, the public company of communications).
The content is entwined with the Cuban Revolution and is written from a Cuban perspective. For example, EcuRed's article about United States said it had historically taken "by force territory and natural resources from other nations, to put at the service of its businesses and monopolies." The George W. Bush article says that he continues with a family tradition of corruption, government traps and intrigues. The name EcuRed originates from Ecu (Encyclopedia Cubana) and Red (means "network" in Spanish).
Anyone with an email can register in the encyclopedia regardless of country of origin. Not all of EcuRed’s articles are open to modification (just like Wikipedia). Pages can be “protected” for multiple reasons, including “to protect modifications of articles considered very valuable, with a high [degree of] consensus, or with an elevated repercussion”.
The site is available to all Internet users in Cuba, which is estimated at 1.6 million out of a total population of 11.2 million. A portable version (EcuRed Portátil) that can be used for schools, other institutions and homes not connected to the Internet will be made available. It also has a portable version for mobile devices (EcuMóvil) with Android OS 2.2 or higher.
The site is operated by Cuba's Youth Computer Club, is a company of the Ministry of Communications of Cuba.
- Artículo de EcuRed en la Enciclopedia Colaborativa Cubana
- "Ecured.cu - Traffic statistics". lexa Internet, Inc. Retrieved 24 April 2011.
- "Nace la Wikipedia cubana". larepublica.pe. 2010-12-13.
- "Nace la "Wikipedia cubana"". elpais.com. El País. 2010-12-14.
- "Cuba to launch Ecured, a Wikipedia-like database". Pravda.ru. 14 December 2010. Retrieved 14 December 2010.
- "Cuba launches Wikipedia-like online encyclopedia". reuters.com. Reuters. 2010-12-13.
- "Cuba launches its own online encyclopedia". cnn.com. CNN. 2010-12-14.
- Rich Potter (Dec 30, 2010). "Cuba's Ecured: a socialist Wikipedia?". Transd[e]uce. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- EcuRed Portátil in EcuRed
- EcuMóvil in EcuRed